59 | In Your Arms

Mulai dari awal

I need some fresh air. Being locked up in this house won't do any good for my already darkened mood. But how can I step out of the house if Vaughn is always waiting outside? I can't see him. I'll break if I do.

But then, with the way I treated him last night, he must have left, hasn't he? There's no way that he's still trying to get to me.

I've never opened my curtain again, afraid that I'll see him. But now, I brace myself. I walk toward my window, open the curtain and look down to the road. It's empty. Sighing, I step out of my room before walking downstairs.

The pain will go away, Melanie. Time will heal. I keep reminding myself of those words. As a start to feel better, I decide to buy nice breakfasts for myself, since I haven't got any. Jake told me that there's a cafe nearby selling delicious sandwiches, and I'm thinking of going there.

Just when I push the front door open, I startle.

Vaughn is lying on the doorstep, unconscious, his back against the wall. He's still wearing the same clothes as yesterday, his black jacket and jeans damp from being soaked in the rain.

He never left.

A sudden big lump in my throat hurts me to the core, and tears pool in my eyes, panic engulfing me. "Vaughn," I stutter, bending down to shake him, but he remains limp. How long has he been unconscious? It might be after Jake left, because I know that my brother wouldn't leave him just like this. "Vaughn," I rasp, my hands shaking as I try to drag him into the house. I touch his forehead, and my heart races even more. He's burning, his temperature so high.

Once I bring him inside, I close the door. Then I struggle to bring him onto his feet before dragging him into the guest bedroom. It's so difficult when I'm so small compared to him, but I muster all the energy that I have. It's just a bit more, until I can lay him on the bed.

When I finally put him on the bed, I'm panting. My mind wastes no time to form immediate actions to bring the medicine from the emergency kits. I take off his jacket and shirt, knowing that the damp clothes won't do any good to his already high fever.

 I take off his jacket and shirt, knowing that the damp clothes won't do any good to his already high fever

Hours pass by, and now, I'm sitting beside the bed, watching as he sleeps. Pulling the blanket closer to his chest, I sigh. I touch his forehead, and a slight relief washes over me. The fever is going down although it's not gone yet.

How many hours did he stand outside?

I can't remember how long the rain was pouring. He should have left the moment I told him the harsh words. Why did he stay?

Stupid.

A tear falls to my cheek, and more of them keep rolling down my face until I find myself sobbing. I squeeze my eyes shut.

Why are you waiting for me, Vaughn? I can't love you anymore.

"Melanie?" Vaughn's whisper makes me snap my eyes open. But then, I see him still sleeping. Is he talking in his sleep?

I stand up to bring some water so that he'll stay hydrated, but to my surprise, he grabs my wrist.

"No, don't go," he whispers, painfully. His eyes are still closed, frown lines appearing between his eyebrows. Is he having a bad dream? "Please, stay here."

I can't even move because his grip on my wrist is so strong. Now, I know for a fact that whether this guy is sleeping or not, I still have no power against him. This is ridiculous.

"Stay with me," he says firmly, yanking me toward him, making me yelp as I land on top of him, my face on his bare chest. He wraps his arm around me, and I'm stuck.

I stay silent as I hear his heartbeat calming down. Minutes go by, and soon, his restlessness turns into a peaceful sleep again, his chest heaving up and down in steady beats against my cheek.

I should slip out of his hold, but my body is petrified. Or maybe, I just don't want to. It's been so long since he held me in his arms, and I missed it. I've missed his warmth, his touches, his love. I've missed him.

Can I just stay like this for a while?

When I close my eyes, a tear slides down my cheek and falls on his chest. I'm afraid that I'll wake him up. That he'll see me crying once he opens his eyes. But I just can't help myself.

Just for a while. Just a little bit more, I keep saying those words inside my heart, allowing myself to be in his arms a little bit longer.

 Just a little bit more, I keep saying those words inside my heart, allowing myself to be in his arms a little bit longer