Chapter 10: Be Safe

I looked at her for a few moments, wondering if she was being for real, or whether or not she was playing with me. I knew that Shadowclan was not the most friendly clan when it came to intruders. Youngtail had told me that he had gotten a rough scratch from them more than once.
He told me to watch out for them, he did not know if they could be trusted or not quite yet. I had asked him why but he had not responded to me. I wondered why it was so... Maybe I was not the one that should be questioning that, he knew a lot more than me in his old age.
He had been the one the see the clans lead to their down fall. I looked at my friend, dead in her eyes, I could tell that she was being serious. I wondered if I should be the one to go to Shadowclan and ask for herbs. Limp was the medicine cat after all, they should be more trusting of her.
If they saw me there, they might think that I could be scouting their land and planning an attack. I realized that Shadowclan still did not have a medicine cat however... They did not know how important it was to have one.
If they saw Limp in their territory, and they attacked her, she was not strong enough to fight back like I was. If they attacked me I at least stood a chance of making it out of there. I knew she was right, it could not be her, it had to be me.
She would also need to stay back and take care of Steve, Shilo, and the kits while I was gone as well. I did not know much about herbs to help subdue Steve if he had one of those outbursts. Plus I was not sure if Shilo would even trust me with her mate.
As far as I could tell, she did not seem like a cat that was very trusting of the other cats that she was around. I suppose that most queens were like that though. Rabbit had been the same way when we had taken her in with Flame and the rest of her kits.
It took Flame to calm her down, but this cat seemed a little bit different than Rabbit, I just could not quite tell what it was. Rabbit was not going to attack us, but she was just scared of us going near her kits. This cat looked like she was going to attack me each time I looked at her kits or her mate.
I shook my head, and then I looked up at Limp who was staring down at me from the top of the fence. She was waiting for me to tell me that I would go. I thought about what she had said for a few moments... What if they did not know what Stinging Nettle was?
Surely they did right? It was their own territory, there had to be at least one cat around there that could tell us about that. They did not have a medicine cat though, and that was the main worry that was on my mind. I closed my eyes, trying not to worry about it that deep. I knew that Starclan would guide me to the way to save this cats mate.
I sat there for a few moments, as I could tell that Limp was getting a bit antsy due to the fact that I still had not told her that I was going to go into Shadowclan and get the herb for her. I then realized that, and I nodded to her before I began to speak.
"Sorry... I am just worried about getting attacked, if they do not have a medicine cat will they even know what the herb is?" I asked her. She looked at me for a few moments, squinting her eyes at me. Then she turned her back to me, and she looked back at the other side of the fence just like she had been doing just a few moments ago.
It was as if she thought that the stinging nettle was going to suddenly appear from out of the blue and save us. I had to rough facts for her, that just was not going to happen. Starclan was not going to make it that easy for us, we had to work our way to what it was that we were trying to find.
After a few more moments of her staring down at the other side of the fence, she then turned her head back over to me. She then nodded back at me, just as I had done a few moments ago. She then responded to what I had just said to her, as well.
"Moon... If you trust Starclan like I do, than you should know that they will not let you down, you just have to believe in them... That is why the clans fell apart last time, and we keep it like that and it will happen again." She said to me. I did not expect such wise words from her like that.
She really had grown up over the last few moons, and I had to say that I was quite proud of her. A lot of the cats that I had been around lately had been like that as well. Even Mint, she had stopped blaming herself for everything that went wrong for us.
It seemed as if I was the same cat as I used to though, and maybe that was just how my mind worked... One thing I knew is that we were close to the end of my destiny now. I just wondered what was going to happen after that... I wasn't just going to die right?
Maybe I was... I knew that once a cat reached the end of their journey, than their journey more times than not would come to an end. I knew that Youngtail had said it himself a couple of times, he was so old as is, I did not know how he could walk around on the daily basis like he did.
"I will die when my journey has reached its end... My journey is to teach you how to not end up like the clans before you... Once that is done I can lay to rest." He had said to me. I looked down at the ground when he said that. I loved the cat, he was a lot greater of a cat than I had first thought that he was. He had learned quite a lot in his long time by the lake.
I looked up at Limp, realizing that I was lost in my thoughts once again. She was getting a bit tired of it as well, as far as I could tell. She rolled her eyes at me, and I looked down at the ground a bit upset at myself. I then realized that I had to respond to what she had said to me.
"Yes... You are right, everything will be okay... Now you get down and we will tell Shilo about it." I said to her. She looked at me for a few moments, as if she looked like she was not too sure what I had said, or if I was being for real or not. She eventually then nodded to me and she hopped down from the fence.
I looked at her waiting for her to respond to what I had just said, but she just sat there staring at something for quite a few minutes. I looked at what it was that she was staring at, and I noticed it to be a tree. I looked at the tree wondering what was so special about it.
Was that where the stinging nettle was? Was it right up on us all along? I sat there staring at the tree for a few moments just as Limp had, but when I looked back at her, I saw that she was walking back to Shilo and the kits. I quickly then caught up to her as she turned her head noticing me, she then began to speak to me.
"I don't know how long Steve has left in him. I do not recommend risking it if you ask me. Just try to get the nettle and then come back as soon as possible." She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, and then I nodded. To be truthful I was a bit scared, and I knew I should not be like that.
I was the leader of Windclan, I was supposed to act strong, and brave to the cats that were around me, that way the same energy vibrated to them. I just was a bit scared, due to the fact that I was not sure what Shadowclan would do if they saw me walking amongst their territory.
Maybe I should wait for a patrol to walk past their borders and find me. I knew that Skyclan was a lot more friendly then Shadowclan, I doubt they would worry too much if they saw me waiting on their land by their border. They might question me, but I doubt that they would attack me.
I also knew that Limp was in a bit of a hurry as well, so maybe that would not be the smartest idea... The patrols were supposed to go on early morning and late afternoon. By now it was late at night so I should easily get over there before the sun rose on the horizon.
We got over to Shilo, as I could see that the kits were no longer awake and eating from her breasts. She was huddled up to her mate, and her kits were with her as well. I could tell that she was not asleep however, and I knew why that would be so as well.
I knew that she was not only worried about her kits, just like Rabbit was, but she also was worried about her mate. I could tell by her breathing that she was not asleep, and Limp I suppose could tell that as well, she was a medicine cat after all, as she began to speak to Shilo, who lifted her head up to let Limp know that she was listening.
"The herb we need to help your mate is quite far away, my friend Moon is going to get it, and he should be back before tomorrow night. I am going to gets some herbs to subdue your mate for now." Limp said to Shilo. Shilo looked at her for a few moments, and then she looked at me as I could tell she was not so sure she could trust me just yet.
I did not roll my eyes or anything like that, I knew that it was a bit rude to be like that in such a serious situation like the one that we were in at the exact moment. Shilo sat there for a little bit longer, and then she began to speak to me.
"If this is to save my mates life, I have no other choice but to trust you. Just promise me that you will come back and he will be okay..." She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, and I turned my head to Limp. I could tell that she was not so sure, and that she was worried about that.
I looked away from her, and then I closed my eyes for just a few moments. I could feel the spirits of Starclan cats in the air, and they were calming me down. Telling me that things were going to end up okay for us. I opened my eyes, looking back at Shilo.
She had a very worried look on her face, but I did not. I nodded to her, and she still did not look like that was enough. I remembered what she had just asked of me as well. I then began to speak up for the younger queen.
"I promise that I will come back, and he will be okay... I feel Starclan by my side right now, your mate will be safe in Limps hands, until I get back with the herb." I said to her. She looked at me a bit confused when I had said Starclan. I understood why that would be so however.
She had probably not heard of Starclan before, and she was confused. I saw Limp from the corner of my eye, as she nodded to me. I could tell that she believed that I had just said the perfect thing to calm down Shilo. I thanked myself for being smart enough to realize that as well.
We sat there for a a few moments, just in complete silence. Shilo then moved a little bit closer to her mate, holding him close. I missed doing that with Mint... I missed being around her every day like I used to. It did not even seem as if we were even mates any more, and I hated to be thinking like that.
I turned my head away, trying not too think too deep on that at the exact moment, as I sat there looking up at the sky with a smile on my face. I saw one of the stars, as it looked like it winked at me for some odd reason. I knew right away that what I had just said was correct, not that I ever had a moment of doubt in my mind at all.
I turned my head around, as I heard Limp begin to speak. It seemed as if she was only speaking to me this time. I payed full attention to her, noticing that right away. I nodded to her letting her know that I was not lost in my thoughts like I usually was when she was speaking to me.
"Go ahead and go, Shilo is asleep now, I will take care of them." She said to me. I looked at her, and then I nodded. She did not even need to tell me that, I knew that she would be okay with them. She was my medicine cat, and she was also my best friend if you did not count Kettle as well.
I looked at Limp for a few moments, taking it all in. I then nodded to her, looking back at Shilo, as she was huddled up close to her mate and her kits. I hoped that some day me and Mint would be just like that as well.
I shook my head, that was enough thinking for now. I nodded to Limp, to let her know that I was ready to head off to Shadowclan. She nodded back at me, and once I knew that all of them were going to be alright, I then began to head over to the fence.
I hopped on to the short fence easily, and then looked around to see where I was at, spotting Shadowclans territory on the far side of the lake... I shivered, thinking about going near that place. I then then heard Limp say one last thing to me, as if it was a shout, but quiet enough so that it would not wake up the others.
"I believe in you Moon... Be safe..."