Chapter 10 More First Kisses

Shella wakes us up again today and we have breakfast in bed again. It's pancakes again.

Again, again, again.

It's not a routine, though it feels like one.

Shella brings us to the center room and starts talking to us about strategies.

"So, what kind of image are you two going for? They're going to interview the tributes in pairs."

"Obviously love."

"Oh, yes. Now, let me see that kiss again. Just like we practiced on the plane."

I roll my eyes and turn to Levy. He says, "Esther, ever since I met you I've wanted to kiss you. You always told me you weren't ready but I don't want to die without kissing you. Will you kiss me now?"

He says it rather dramatically and cheesily but Shella responds with a "Perfect!" so I say my line back.

"Yes!" I try to put all my love into that simple word, but it comes out flat.

"Esther, you need to use emotion," Shella says.

"I tried," I say halfheartedly.

"Act like it really is your first kiss," she suggests.

"Act like I just proposed in an adorable way and you couldn't wait until I asked," Levy says.

"Yes!" I say, acting as if there are almost tears of joy in my eyes.

Levy smiles almost rediculously and moves his head closer to mine. We tilt our heads the same way a few times, then get it right. Our lips touch and I imagine it is my wedding day.

***

I walk down the aisle in a soft white dress. My arm is in my father's and he leads me over a red carpet with rose petals on it. The groom stares at me with a huge smile on his face that mirrors mine.

***

"You may kiss the bride."

We are married and our first kiss as a married couple is just as good, if not better, as our first kiss.

This is our first kiss.

***

We separate with smiles on our faces. Shella applauds. "Now that we've perfected that, we'll work on what you'll say."

"We can't just wing it?" Levy asks.

"Heavens no! You need to have a character, one that appeals to your audience."

"Audience. Like we're just animals in a show, trained to fight," I say bitterly.

"Don't think of it that way," Shella sighs.

"Why not? It's true," Levy says.

Shella sighs. "I'm not going to argue with you. You are going into the arena and I want to help you as much as I can," she says. The fire she ignited in me lowers.

She instructs us until lunch and, after lunch, we separate to get prepped.

I take a bath yet again and watch the training scores as my nails and hair are being done. My nails are painted gold again, but in two different shades. Each nail is split down the middle and painted half gold, half dark gold.

My hair is put up in a braided bun and sprayed with something that makes it shinier and more like gold.

Marcy got a four.

I'm proud of her for getting over half of what I got. The lowest score was two. Only Pamela got a two.

When my prep team leaves, Benjamin walks in carrying another box. It is bigger than the first. I wonder what other gold thing Shella could have come up with. Benjamin opens the box and pulls out a pair of gold heels that have little glitter on them. Next are a pair of gold feather earrings.