twenty three

Mckenzie

"So..."

"So..." I repeated.

His tolerance was grinding away at my nerves.

"This coffee is good."

"You haven't seen me in years and all you can talk about is coffee?" I practically growled.

I know that I probably seem like a bitch right now, but he was the one who wanted to meet up in the first place.

"Sorry, I just don't really know what to say." He admitted.

"You must have something in mind or else you wouldn't have shown up out of the blue like this." I stated.

"Why are you being such a bitch?" He almost yelled.

"Riley, I'm not being a bitch. I'm being honest. You never returned a single one of my calls or texts, why not?' I probed.

"You want to know the honest truth?"

"I'm a big girl now, I'm sure that I can handle it." I retorted.

"Fine then, Mrs Big Girl ­ I didn't keep in contact, because your voice would only make me miss you more."

"­What?" I stuttered.

My face smoothed out at his shock response.

"I missed you every single second that we were apart."

"Okay, that's a little creepy." I joked, hoping that he was too.

"I know, but it's true. You were nothing but good to me and I couldn't even return a simple phone call." He muttered, frustrated with himself.

"Riley, it's fine. Don't worry about it." I reassured, trying to lighten up the mood.

He looked up at me with his sympathetic eyes. He hadn't changed much, besides growing a little bit taller ­ if it was possible ­ he was well beyond six feet now. His hair had grown longer, he looked like he should be in some pop punk band with his long, swept blonde hair ­ his skinny jeans and his Glamour Kills shirt.

"I have to go now, though. My mom expects me home soon." I lied.

I was on the way to Jai's house, but I didn't want to fill him in on the details. I know that lying isn't good for the soul, but mine is barely pure anymore.

"Since when do you listen to your parents?" He delved.

"Since I became more responsible." I said, trying to sound convincing.

"You've changed." He stated before walking me out of the small coffee shop.

However, this time it was a high end one and it was packed, not like earlier.

"You haven't." I replied, smiling at him whilst walking out.

"Well, I'm off this way. I guess that I'll see you around?" He questioned.

"Yeah, sure. How long are you around for?"

"As long as I want, I'm renting a place out." He smiled.

"Awesome." I smiled back, letting out a small chuckle.

"What is it?"

"Remember how we always spoke about living together..." I trailed off.

"Old times, ay?" He chuckled, enveloping me into a tight embrace.

He smelt like a band member. Don't ask how I know that.