seventeen

Mckenzie

"Mckenzie? Mckenzie, are you okay?"

"W­What?" I asked, awakening from my trance.

"You haven't touched your food." My mom replied.

"I'm not hungry."

"That's not like you. Are you sure that you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired, that's all." I lied.

My stomach was already full, but not due to food. Due to guilt.

"I'm gonna go lie down." I spoke before getting up and leaving my dinner on the table to go cold.

I dragged my feet up the stairs before relaxing myself down on my bed. I couldn't even think straight anymore. The guilt was eating away at me so much. Not even music could ease it. I couldn't take it any longer; I had to set this straight. I slipped my Vans on and grabbed my coat before leaving my bedroom again. I dawdled down the stairs; every step I took was a step closer to revealing the truth. I coughed so that my mom acknowledged my presence in the kitchen.

"Are you going out?" She questioned, putting down the dirty dish that she had in her hands.

"I'm going to see Ryan." I bluntly replied.

"Do you need a lift?" She offered.

"Yes, please."I wasn't in the mood for a long walk tonight. It was already cold outside ­ I could tell that Winter was fast approaching.

"Okay, let me just grab my coat." She said, rushing off upstairs.

"I'll be in the car." I replied.

I didn't think that she heard me, but I wandered off to the car anyway. I unlocked the doors and sat inside the frostbite frozen air that was circling inside of the tin can.

"Slight bit nippy." My mom said as she stepped inside of the car.

I didn't reply. I continued to gaze out of the window until we were out of the drive way.

"Does Ryan know that you're coming?"

"No." I sighed.

"What's going on?" She asked, peering over at my dampened face.

"Nothing." I lied.

"Are you and Ryan alright?"

"At the moment." I admitted, but I wouldn't know for much longer.

"Okay, where does he live then?" She questioned, giving up on the whole 20 questions thing.

"Main Street." I replied.

"Does he live by himself?"

"Yep."

"Right, Main Street. We're here, now which house?" She asked as the car slowly crawled along the street.

"This one." I retorted as she braked harshly outside of his house.

"Do you need a ride home?"

"No, I don't know. I'll call you." I said as I slammed the door.I watched as she waited for a while then eventually drove off. I walked up the garden path physically shaking. I had been going out with Ryan for a week and I had already cheated on him. The door was locked and the constant banging I made didn't seem to make much of impact on the rest of the house. I dug around under the flower pots on the front step and found a spare key. People really need to stop hiding these in such obvious places. I knew that Ryan was in. His car was here and there were a few lights on. Maybe he just hadn't heard me, I thought as I slid the key into the keyhole. The key turned with ease and the door gently opened. I stepped inside and the nice warm air hit me, but there was also a musky smell, sort of like smoke. I didn't know that Ryan smoked and it never smelt like this the other day.