twentynine

𝔈𝔩𝔶𝔰𝔢 is sitting at her table in the Great Hall, poking the food in her plate with her fork

𝔈𝔩𝔶𝔰𝔢 is sitting at her table in the Great Hall, poking the food in her plate with her fork. She had lost her appetite. Her fellow Ravenclaw students were busy talking about classes and preparations for the N.E.W.T. and their plans after next year. It saddened her even more, because she knew that with the mark on her she probably wouldn't be able to go for Ministry of Magic.

She sees some movement from the corner of her eyes to see, Harry talking to Katie. Her heart beat drops as she turns to look towards the entrance to see Draco staring fearfully at Harry and Katie. Elyse had a feeling this could not end well. She watches as Draco runs out the Great Hall, followed by Harry. She doesn't hesitate to stand up, causing Luna to look up questioningly.

"Where are you going?" Luna asks, making Elyse look at her wide eyed, as she's unsure how to respond to that. She wished she could tell her, but she knew better.

"Oh... I just remembered I had this assignment due for later and I forgot to do it. I wouldn't want to cause a loss of points." Elyse says, clearing her throat nervously, making Luna squint her eyes.

"But you haven't finished to eat. You haven't even started." Luna says pointedly as she glances down at the plate, before looking back up at Elyse who shrugs innocently.

"I'm not hungry." Elyse says, before leaving the table to avoid anymore questioning. Unfortunately, she's once again stopped as Hermione grabs her wrist to stop her.

"Elyse. What's going on?" Hermione asks, slightly accusingly, making Elyse wince as she hopes her sleeve won't rise up to high to reveal her mark. Elyse's heartbeat increases. "You know what he did... don't you."

"Hermione. You don't understand." Elyse says weakly as she pulls her wrist away from Hermione. She shakes her head weakly and bites her lip. "You really really don't understand."

"But you can explain." Hermione points out, making Elyse scoff.

"At what cost." Elyse sighs, before she leaves the Great Hall. She looks around trying to find traces of Draco anywhere around. It's only as she notices the water leaking through from under the door, that she realises he's in the bathroom. She rushes in and sees water flowing everywhere. As she looks up her heart drops as she sees a body laying on the floor. Elyse rushes to them and pushes Harry to side as she drops to her knees as tears burn her eyes. "What have you done..."

"I don't..." Harry trails off, not sure what to say as he's in a state of shock. Draco's breathing is rapid as his blood seeps through his shirt and mixes with the water on the floor.

"Draco." Elyse breaths out, before taking her wand out. Her hands are shaking as she tries to remember how the spell goes. Tears of frustration burn her eyes, as Draco groans in pain. She doesn't notice Professor Snape come in or him dismissing Harry. He starts pulling her away, making her shake her head. "No. I know this! I know the spell!"

"Vulnera Sanentur." Snape hums as he runs his wand over Draco's wound, making the blood disappear as his breathing returns to normal. Elyse collapses on the floor, half soaked as her whole body shakes in sobs. Snape turns to look down at her and sighs. "Elyse. Make sure he gets some rest."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She says weakly, as Draco slowly starts to regain his strength and stands up. He walks up to her and crouches in front of her, pulling her into a hug. Her sobs become more violent as she shakes in his arms. "I'm so sorry."

"Stop. I'm okay. It's okay." He says as his own tears haven't dried yet.

"Malfoy. Go back to your room." Snape instructs, making Draco stand up and helps Elyse up. Both soaked from having been in the water, slowly make their way out of the bathroom. As they walk out, Elyse notices Hermione look at her in shock and worry, making her look away as she holds Draco's hand.

So many thoughts are haunting her thoughts at this moment. She could have been there earlier and prevented all of this. She should have known the spell. Elyse is slowly starting to doubt her own skills. What if Snape was wrong, what if she wasn't extremely strong? Draco could have died because of her.