eighteen

𝔈𝔩𝔶𝔰𝔢 fiddles with her quill as she looks down at her book

𝔈𝔩𝔶𝔰𝔢 fiddles with her quill as she looks down at her book. She had been in a bad mood, since the breakup and every time she saw him she wanted to break down. The worst part, is that it seemed to not affect him as he kept laughing at things his Slytherin friends said, as if she had never existed. Luna had been ready to duel him, but Elyse had told her he wasn't worth their time anymore.

"For today's class. We will be doing Amorentia." Snape announces, making Elyse stiffen as she realises today is the day. She had completely forgotten about this. If she didn't look forward to it before, she certainly didn't now. "The instructions are in the book. And I want you to follow them to dot."

"Hey, so I heard the second task is in a month." She hears a student speak, in the back as she reads over the instructions on how to make the potion.

"But have you heard the real big news? Apparently Draco and Elyse were dating but broke up recently." The other student says, making her stiffen as out of reflex she glanced up at Draco, to see him focusing on the potion. She shakes her head and looks back, missing the sad look he gives her. She stands up and starts mixing all the ingredients, just as Snape walks past.

"You're doing great as always I see, Miss Lestrange." He hums approvingly, making her beam with a weak smile, before he walks past her. "You'll be the first one to tell us, about your potion. Lestrange."

Her head snaps up as her eyes widen in shock. She feels her breath get stuck at the back of her throat, she wants to protest, but knows better than to argue with a Professors and she doesn't want to risk loosing points because of it. She finished up her potion. She clears her throat nervously, before bringing it up to her nose and she can feel her heart drop as she recognises the smell.

"Miss Lestrange?" Snape asks, making her look up. She shifts uncomfortably as she notices Draco on the side staring at her. She couldn't lie. Lying to the Professor could get her to loose points. She's a bad liar. She can't lie.

"I smell, uh, apples... peppermint." She says, before bringing the potion back up to her nose and nervously continues. "And cologne."

"Thank you. Can you explain to the class what the potion reveals?" Snape asks, and she nods weakly.

"Amorentia is one of the strongest love potions. If it's to be drunk, it can cause the drinker to be obsessed with the a person. But every Amorentia smells different to different person, it's supposed to smell like the person you're... you're most attracted to." Elyse explains, making Snape nod approvingly, before he moves around the room to check on everyone's work. She looks up at Draco, who is already looking at her with a sad look, making her look away.

She puts down her potion, before making short notes in her book. Her heart is still beating fast from this moment. As soon as Snape dismisses them, she runs out of the room, not wanting to run into Draco. Elyse didn't have the strength to face him. She was just going to go straight to her next class and sit down at the front, because she knew he'd sit closer to the back.

Elyse is planning on avoiding him like the plague, for as long as possible. Even though, because of their families, she knew she'd soon have to face him. But for now, she was hoping not to see him. She didn't want to see him. To add on, she's still mad at him for the way things went down, for him making the exact same mistake.

She thought she knew him well enough to understand him, but she was wrong. She didn't understand him. One moment he was the Draco she knew her whole life, the next minute she couldn't even recognise him. Elyse knew it was in the Slytherin's nature to be cunning and manipulative, but she had expected Draco to be better than this.