sneak peek

WAY TOO BIG; [ sneak peek.]

I expected a yelp, a groan, or a loud cry. What I didn't expect was a violent shove. And another. Just before he could shove me again.
I landed him a deafening slap eliciting a scream from him, as he fell with a thud.

Now that's more like it.
Before I knew it, mom and Elizabeth were at my doorstep. Looking confused.
As usual, mom was the first to speak, "what's going on here?"

"Naomi slapped me.". Eric said palms pressed tightly on his face as he laid motionlessly on the ground.

"What?!" Mom and Elizabeth exclaimed.

"He deserved it," I explained as mom took long strides towards me.

Mom was provoked,  "What do you mean he deserved it? Why did you slap him?" She was standing right before me.

"He barged into my room and just took my energy drink and...and" I began to stutter.

Mom looked confused, "what energy drink?"

Eric regained his ability to speak, "She came into my room when I wasn't there and took five energy drinks from my fridge and most of my chocolate bars there. I came here to ask her why she did so and she pulled me by my collar. Even tore my shirt..." he showed it to mom.
"And slapped me."

Mom needed no further explanation or information as she gave me two deafening slaps that had me recoiling.

My jaws went slack. My face became suddenly hot. From the corner of my eye, I could see Eric smiling triumphantly as he wiped his tears. Elizabeth just stared and Shook her head. Then turned around and left, Eric followed suit.

"I've tolerated you enough. I did nothing when you misbehaved in school, I was called to your school eight times last term. Eight times Naomi! I did nothing when you beat up my customers. But I won't tolerate you getting violent with your own younger brother. Have you no Shame? How old are you?" I was reminded of my age.
I hate numbers.

Mom was seething, "Why did you even go into his room in the first place? You're on a diet. I intentionally put those things in Eric's room!" She jabbed her fingers at me causing me to stagger backward.
"So it'll be out of your reach. Do you need me to remind you of how much you weigh?" I was reminded of my weight.
I hate numbers.

Mom wasn't done yet, "Your results were sent to my e-mail this morning. F9 parallel Naomi! What is one D7 amid  F9?" Mom slammed her hand on my nightstand, causing me to flinch and move impossibly close to the wall. "Your level exams are around the corner and you bring home F9 parallel. Are you insane?" Mom thundered. " Maths; 20 out of 100. What university will accept that?" I was reminded of my grades.
I hate numbers.

Mom paced, constantly throwing up her hands in frustration.
"And Instead of you to read your books and help yourself. You're here beating up your younger brother over  drinks and food."

Mom stopped pacing and glared daggers at me.
"Starting today. You're not allowed to eat anything that has sugar and calories. You'll stick to your diet plans. You'll study every day until the day of your final exams. You'll exercise every day till you weigh what a normal person your age should weigh. I'm done!" She slammed the table again and I flinched.

Hot tears were brimming in my eyes.
One teardrop escaped.
"Mom..." I tried to say something but all the words were stuck.
"Don't mom me! I'm done! I'm done having a lazy, incompetent, fat, useless, annoying, exasperating, hardheaded, sorry excuse for a daughter...as my child. You're too big for this nonsense you're doing." Mom finalized and walked out of my room slamming the door shut.

Mom's last words echoed in my head. "You're too big for this nonsense you're doing."

Way too big...

***