Chapter 81: Laughter

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
"These hallways go on forever!" Anna exclaimed.
I followed my sister, listening.
      "I mean, it's almost like a new castle was built around an older castle. But that would have had to happen hundreds of years ago!"
      "It's amazing," I agreed, pushing against a wall with all my might. "Maybe we can explore it all...tomorrow."
      "Well, sure!" Anna said cheerily. "As big as this place seems to be, we could spend all week exploring!"
      I grew frustrated. "We don't have all week! We don't have all night! I have important things to plan!"
     "Hey! You're not the only one! I have...things, too!"
      "Anna..." I started, but then I asked,  "Wait, what do you have to plan?"
      "Stuff!" Anna said defensively. "Lots of stuff! I mean, I don't have to be a queen to have important plans to plan, do I?"
      "That's not what I meant!" I said "I just mean... the things I'm working on-"
"Doesn't matter! You're taking tonight off!" Anna responded.
"But," I replied, "I have to take care of thing! I really do!"
"Not tonight!" Anna pointed at me. "Tonight you are relaxing!"
I looked around at the gloomy passage. "How... how is this relaxing?"
Anna shrugged. "Oh, come on. It's not like we're trapped in here. You have powers!"
I poked the wall, freezing just a tiny section. "You know that my powers don't open doors! I'd just break down the wall! And I'd really prefer not to wreck the castle if I don't have to."
"Well, yeah...but..." Anna pushed against the wall. Nothing. "I guess that's a fair point...but what else can we do?"
I looked around. "Listen, if I have to, I can get us out. But let's save that for a last resort. There was a doorway in; it stands to reason there must be a doorway out. We can take a little time and explore. Okay?"
Anna looked uncertain. "Okay...for a little while, I guess. But I have serious plans for tonight! We...I can't miss them, so—" Then she stopped short, looking at the dusty floor of the hallway. "Wait. Are these... tiny footprints? They're hard to see, but... they don't...they don't look human..."
I was about to respond when I heard a sound. It came from far away, and it was soft as a whisper. But still... it was unmistakable.
"Was that...?" Anna asked in a hushed voice. "Was that...laughter?"