CH 13 - Don't You Dare...

Start from the beginning

'AND PLS SAVE US ALL BY CALLING YOUR MOM,  KID!!! SHE'S GOING BALLISTIC OVER HERE!!!!! SAVE US ALL!!!!!!!!!!' Max inwardly winced at the use of capitals and the number of exclamations used. 

And there it was, the concern wrapped in so many layers of sarcasm that one could actually forget the actual reason for digging through halfway, before labelling them as stuck-up narcissists. 'Stay safe alright, we still haven't kicked your asses in the tournament!!' 

he had received similar messages from the other All Stars members too. 

'Are you alive or did the media forget to mention your death kid? XD'

'Dude, the bandages on the head goes soooooo against the latest fashion trends... '

'You look like a ghost dude!! Couldn't you just wash your face and wear a better set of clothes before the PC? You're embarrassing us Americans.'

'Your not allowed to die without giving me insider's information on this latest news.' 

Max rolled his eyes at each of the comment, but he currently didn't have the energy to come up with that number of witty replies. He read his friends the messages sent from Emily alone. 

"Then you should call your mom. And your dad too, for that matter. They must have gone crazy thinking about you.!!" Kenny scolded.

"You should call your parents Max... "
Ray affirmed. He seemed hesitant at first, but consented at the end. The phone was ringing

Ring.... Ring. Ring... Rin. His mom picked it up.

"Max? "

It was barely a whisper. If Max hadn't put the phone on loud speaker, they would have missed it. A swirl of emotions crossed Max's face. For the first time since yesterday, he looked at scared as he should have been feeling. His throat tightened, unable to answer her, yet he managed to croak out. "Hey mom... h-how are you? " trying to sound casual, his first mistake. 

The change of tone was drastic. "How am I? Don't you think you should be the one answering the question, young man?!! I'm worried sick about you, you don't even pick up my calls, you don't answer my messages, the press is a huge mess, the rumours running around are wild and then you call me after a day!!! " she demanded. 

Max tried placating her, without success. "But mom... "

But Ms Tate wasn't done yet. "There's a huge bandage on your head. A cut on your lip-" Max's hand went to his lips, no doubt  noticing it for the first time. "-and you thought it was more important to inform the world, inform your precious fans, than informing your dad, informing me!!! How much more careless you could get Max?"

He tried intercepting her again, "Mom there's something.." he had started but his mum continued. 

"Leave the blade breakers Max,-" the sudden change of topic startled Ray sometime much that he choked on his food. He clumsily took hold of a glass of water and took a big gulp of it. 

"No way.... " Max had immediately responded,but him mum gave him no heed. "-see what it has got you into. There's a lot of risk being with them, but you and your father don't don't even listen to me! Leaving you with your father is what is causing this trouble. He could not keep you safe. Fine then, I'll move to the court for single guardianship-"

"What? Why bring him into this?" he questioned back, an edge in his voice. 

"-You are coming back to New York now. Wait, I'll book a ticket for..... "