Chapter 25 - Seething With Fury

Only after the call ended that Kai did realize what a big mistake he might have made. That the call could of have been a set up for 'collecting evidence' against Jason. He could remember a faint echo of Jason informing him of erasing evidences of him helping Kai.

Except for this call. He had just accepted that such a thing had occurred in the past. Mentioning of Tyson escaping attack so closely. Mentioning of Max and Tyson being on some Mafia's hit list. Using the phrase, 'harms way'. Of course, he must have had some insight to his background. Experience in Russian cases. No wonder he must be playing with my guilt to extract information.

And the worst thing was, he had succeeded. He felt so angry all of a sudden. He could no longer feel his pounding headache due to this. He couldn't curse himself less. Good for nothing, weak, idiot, you always mess things up. You let your emotions get the better of you, again and again. What's the use of staying in control all the time if you loose it when it matters to you the most. If you had just kept your mouth shut...

He thought of calling Jason, but couldn't bring himself to admit that he had done such a grave mistake, a mistake that could cost Jason his career, or worse, his life if this news reached Voltaire.

He wanted to be left alone. He wanted to get out of there. To take some time off and cool his anger, for he couldn't think rationally with it. It was a weakness he couldn't correct. He left the Communication Room and headed for his room without waiting for anybody.

******

We caught the bus immediately. It was just a ten minute trip. We chatted for a few minutes. Both of us told one another of how we had spent the last week. Tyson told Hillary of the newspaper and she told him of her talk with Officer Jackson.

"So, Kai knows what's going on? Even though he hasn't left his hospital bed?!" he asked, slightly shocked.

I shrug, "I don't know, but that's what the Officer said." I say.

"But how did he do that?"

"You'll have to ask him yourself, Ty." I say. He stops pestering me, though he was anything but convinced.

"Here comes our stop." I say, as the bus came to a halt.

"Yeah.. We should get going.. " he muttered as he grabbed his backpack.

We enter the hospital, making way through the usual chaos towards the elevator for the top floor. After living through the hot day outside, the coolness of the hospital with its white granite was a blessing. Since the top floor barely had any patients, it was sparsely populated with a nurse or two coming for rounds every half an hour.

"You know what, if I was in your place, I would give up anything to be in such a cool place as this. The summer heat is killing me."

"I don't think you would say the same, if you had to spend the whole day with Kai..." Tyson grumbled.

I don't know from where the sudden thought came to me, I don't think I even processed what I was saying, but I got this sudden desire to see if Tyson could feel jealousy or not. I tested him. "Hmm... I guess you're right. With a person as hot as Kai in the room, the hospital will no longer be cool, will it?"

"Yea-what?" He response was so comical, so original, with his eyebrows disappearing behind his cap. His eyes so wide open, as though threatening to fall off any second. His mouth slightly open, a gaping look on his face, it was hard to suppress her giggles. She wanted to continue agonizing Tyson. "Nothing." she said smirking, bounding ahead, a little skip in her steps.

Before Tyson could catch up with her and demand what she meant, Max came out of the room, his face pale and beaded with sweat, his eyes wild and searching. I knew by that very moment that something had gone wrong, but Tyson being the oblivious person he is, didn't. He joked. "What happened? Couldn't tolerate Kai for a few extra hours?"