CH 15 - The Marceus's Payment

"Holy sh*t." Alan Mackenzie cursed himself the fourth time that day as he tried saving his already burnt bread, burning his hand a bit in the process. H didn't have the time to cover it up though because Lawrence came in exactly at that moment to give them a shout-out for not working fast enough. Lawrence was a rough supervisor, to say the least. But he was also one of the few people ready to offer him a job, given his recent endeavor, so Alan didn't like to complain much.

"What the heck is wrong with you, man? That's the second bread you burnt today." he shouted. Gilly pressed her lips in a line, nor sure if she could help him out of this one. She had claimed to have stumbled upon him yesterday when Lawrence had caught him rinsing spilt coffee form his hands.

Alan knew he was busted this time. Sure, Lawrence was a bit thick, but he wasn't that stupid. "I'm sorry sir. It won't repeat again." he said, keeping his tone as remorseful as possible. And in a split second, he decided. "And a day off. Sir." he added, not chancing a glance at him. "It has just been a month since you joined here and you already want 'a day off'? And that to on such a busy day?! Have you lost your mind?" His voice sounded a lot harsher in the closed up food van, but Alan stood his ground. "I have worked everyday for the whole month sir. And I've also worked for double shifts during the weekends. I'm not able to focus and what if I set the van on fire the next time? " he asked the last bit especially sounding a bit innocent.

Lawrence wasn't always this rude. When they were free, he would laugh along with them making nasty or lame jokes. And the Mexican veg role he had made for him when he had just joined was an instant hit with him and the customers too. But dealing with mean and ignorant customers made him grumpy and he would vent out his frustration on them. All one had to do to keep your job intact was to not raise for the bait.

Lawrence was looking thoughtfully at him. Then he grunted, "Fine, but you lose this day's money and yesterday's too, for spilling coffee and being cheeky." he warned. But Alan hardly cared as he took down his apron, hurriedly hugged Gilly and a surprised Lawrence goodbye,took his coat from the hanger and took off.

Alan pulled his coat tighter around him as a cold wind blew across. This fall had been especially cold and the winter was expected to be the worst. And things hadn't been exactly easy for him since the incident. His father had disowned him, making it clear that he would not be supporting him in any manner form now on. That he was not welcome. That there was no place for a thief under his roof.

He had expected nothing less from his dad either, he wasn't Mr Tate. But what infuriated him the most was that he had forbade mom and his brother Eric from visiting him, as though he had a right to choose for them. But they had obliged, though he had heard Eric shouting somewhere far.

It was the Tates who had been there for him again. Judy helped him get in contact with a good lawyer and Max had waved of his penalty, without his knowledge or permission. Max always presumed too much, Alan thought infuriated with his friend. But even with all their assistance, he had to use up all the money he had been earning at the beyblade facility, which was a lot, given how generously Judy used to pay him.

Since he was still underage, he had moved into a small dingy room with a older school mate of his, who had been convinced only after he had offered to pay three fourth of the rent. A few set of clothes and some money to buy books for the next semester were all he owned at the moment. And he could neither afford to save the amount of money required to pay Max back without starving himself.

Max, Max, Max, the one person who had been occupying a lot of his mind space lately, though it wasn't his mistake this time. The blade breakers had once again won the World Championship,a feat only a few teams could achieve. One top of that, Tyson had yet again raised up as the world champion, a feat achieved by fewer less. Max had been at a live show for celebrating the same and there had been a shot out. No one knew what actually happened after that. The blade breakers suddenly seemed unavailable for all of media and the rumour mill got as creative as it could get.