CH 20 - Sadistic Pleasures..!

Watching a crying girl run out of the room was not on Kai's to-do list, nor was making the said girl cry in the first place. But Kai was in no mood to feel guilty, not when her actions or rather the lack of actions led to a lot of events. Yet, he felt guilty for making her cry, when her reasons were quite justifiable.

You would have done the same thing... His mind taunted. And it was true, he wouldn't had shared his problems with the boys, even if his life depended on it. He trusted them, true... They might be one of the few people he trusted in his entire life. But sharing his problems was just not his style. He dealt with them alone, just the way he had been doing for as long as he could remember.

She saved your life!

My life wouldn't have needed the saving if she had been truthful in the first place!!

Come on... She was insecure. Feeling insecure isn't a crime now, is it? You would be serving a life sentence right now if that was the case.

That's besides the point! I gamble with my life only.

And yet, she was almost hurt that evening?!

It was an exception. I-

You should have not let the problem become this serious. It shouldn't have reached the team in the first place!! You put their lives at risk and she didn't even know what exactly she was gambling with... It wasn't right of you to blame her for all this.

I already have enough guilt to have made her cry just because she's Hillary! I don't need the logical part of my brain to take  her side too. I-

The door creaking open again was enough of a sound to rouse Kai from his internal dilemma. He looked  up to find a nurse coming in, followed by a rather tense looking Max.

"Your brother informed me that you were experiencing coughing fits and pain in the wounded region. Is it still there dear?"

Kai took a moment to process the sentence. Max and Kai, looked nothing alike. Sure, they had a fair complexion, but Max was a healthy shade of fair, with slightly pink cheeks and a slight tan, while he was albino white, deathly pale. Max had lemon blond hair while his was double-toned, platinum blond and navy blue. A glance at Ray showed him that he had heard the assumption too, though Kai was quite grateful that Max hadn't noticed the slip.

Kai touched the wounded area and  winced slightly, nodding at the nurse.

As the nurse continued to change the bandages and repraminded him for straining himself, he couldn't find it in himself to correct her, perhaps because he wanted it to be true. Wanted it to be so, so true. He wanted to feel what it felt like to be a part of a family again. But the momentary wish just became that, momentary.

It won't be safe for them. He reminded himself. You can't let them become another weakness in front of Voltaire.

It is for the best, he concluded, staying lonely was worth it if it could protect the life of the ones he cared for. The nurse left after giving him some painkillers and sleeping tablets, but for the life of him, he still could not find the voice to correct her.

******

Never in his life had Tyson appreciated the monotony of his life as he had done in the last few days.

Waking up at eight by getting screamed in the ear by grandpa, arriving at the hospital at nine, having breakfast with Max and Ray, talking and cracking jokes, often hearing Ray sigh in exasperation.