51; Lonely Star

Chapter 51

"It seems like pain and regret are your best friends."

(Raine's POV)

I never thought it was possible to have so much fun doing something so wrong.

In the past week, Zayn and I had secured one of the five codes we need to access the HEXA, went on countless missions for both parties while sending information back to Moon, had aimless and strikingly rebellious sex in places we never should've, and made fifty thousand each. Suddenly, things don't seem so hard anymore. As long as we can keep up this charade until we access the rest of our codes, the rest is actually exciting. I'm starting to see why people rarely end up leaving such a lifestyle.

But there was something significantly lacking from my routine- Apollo. Ever since the night of the club, he hadn't spoken to me even though he was supposed to come by to check on me. I wouldn't have necessarily cared, but when Zayn reported back to Moon with all the new intel he gathered from his little dalliance with Ana, she got onto me about my relationship with Apollo.

"He's the top dog," she scolded that day, impatience in her tone. "I don't care what Ana does. I need to know what he's doing, who he's talking to, what deals he's making- everything. Can you at least manage that?"

I didn't tell her nor Zayn about the sudden disappearing act he pulled. Apollo is an intelligent man, maybe he caught on and figured out that Zayn and I are actually seeing each other after all. Maybe he has lost interest in me. It wouldn't surprise me, to say the least, his work has always come first for him.

Nonetheless, I decided it was time for me to stop delaying the inevitable. As much as I was appreciative of the distance because it meant I didn't have to deal with another man other than the one I have to somehow share with another woman, I know it's time to confront him. He's a vital piece to this mission, and him trusting me is the glue that's holding it all together.

So I pull in front of his mansion, making my way towards his door. It is surprisingly very quiet in this neck of the woods, but I figure Apollo likes it that way. He is, after all, a very private man.

When I ring the doorbell, it occurs to me that he might not even be home. But it's still pretty early in the morning, which is usually the time Apollo takes to regroup and make some calls. Either way, I'm going to find him today.

I'm about to give up on the mansion when the door swings open, but it is not who I expect at all.

A beautiful woman- probably in her late thirties but aging so gorgeously- opens the door in a silk robe and a lazy smile that a person can only have after having sex with Apollo. Swallowing hard, I take a step back, feeling like I'm intruding and also feeling slightly hypocritically hurt.

I guess he's no longer interested in me.

"Hey there," she drops her head against the door frame. I'm immediately self conscious in my choice of jeans and a sweater once I see how pretty she is even though she just got out of bed.

"Do you happen to know where Apollo is?" I ask her, kind of hoping she says no so I don't have to face him right now.

"Yeah, let me get him," she says with a confidence that only a woman like her can carry. She moves aside to let me in and my eyes follow her as she makes her way to Apollo's study room, clearly familiar with the house. My shoulders fall and I feel heat rising to my cheeks once I realize what an uncomfortable situation I'm in. Not only have I not seen Apollo in days, but now he knows that I was greeted by his overnight friend.