79; Fast Life Bluez

I'm spoiled now. We're doing goals for every chapter until this bitch is over. In return you get frequent updates and one very happy author.

Votes: 100
Comments: 1.1k

_________

Chapter 79

"Game so deep and the drink's so strong.
I don't trust no one at all."

(Raine's POV)

"She's beautiful, isn't she?"

At the sound of my brother's voice, I find a comfortable weight getting lifted off of my chest. Both he and I stand woefully at the balcony of our villa which looks over the golden city of Madrid, taking in the sight of our father's homeland which is soon to be his unexpected graveyard if everything goes our way.

A strange nostalgia settles over our hearts at the sight of such a gorgeous city, one that reminds us of everything we've lost even though neither of us has ever been graced with the opportunity to ever come here. Both he and I share fifty percent of our descent with lady Spain, but we are victims of absent parents who never taught us what heritage ran through our blood. While both of us look the part, neither one of us feels at home in a place that has claimed such a stake on our lives.

But then again, we haven't known a home in a long time.

"One of the prettiest cities I've ever been to," I swoon alongside my gleaming brother. It's been merely minutes since we arrived at the extravagant house that Ramone has us staying in which just so happens to be his home for when he comes to his motherland. Back when I did business with him, I learned that he often visits Madrid when he needs luck, which happens more than one would think. I've never come before only because he likes to come alone in order to clear his head, but every time he returns, he is ready to take on the world. It must be something in the air.

Kai inhales a deep breath, shutting his eyes as the gracious sun shines over his skin. He looks well rested after our twelve hour flight from New Orleans, finding moments to sleep on the jet when Ramone focused his efforts elsewhere. In fact, both of us caught valuable pockets of leisure until the plane landed and our feet touched the soil, reminding us both that we are here for a war.

"Are you ready for this?" He asks me, able to understand me even with his eyes closed. I would consider it impressive if I hadn't already made my distaste towards Ramone's plan abundantly clear. Despite my best efforts to come up with a master plan last night, my cocaine comedown forced me to knock out on my desk without a single compromise in mind. It was a fool's errand to try to sway the mind of our stubborn boss. He knew what he wanted and nothing could change that, especially not his backstabbing, disloyal prodigy that he's only known for a year.

Hell, he wouldn't even listen to Apollo who he swears is like a son to him.

"I don't have a choice," I frown, propping my chin in my hands as I console myself with the ambience of the sun sinking over the ancient city below me.

"Exactly. You don't."

With narrowed eyes, I turn to glare at him to find him shaking his head at me as if I've done something to upset him. I often forget what home feels like, but every time I'm in the presence of my hot-headed brother, I'm taken back to the immature fights we had in our little red house. Fighting with him has turned out to be one of the best parts of this crazy life.

"Now that we're here, we better learn to get on board." He cocks an eyebrow at me. "And by 'we' I mean you."

My shoulders fall. "At least admit that this is a stupid plan."