29; Broken Whiskey Glass

Chapter 29

"Where I go next, now, only time will tell."

(Raine's POV)

I awake with a blinding pain in my head, feeling like I just slept for the better part of a year. It takes a moment for my senses to kick in, but once I remember the last thing that happened to me, I suddenly jerk awake.

I'm in what appears to be a hotel room, alone. The room I'm in is not like any other hotel I have been in, it is exceptionally nice. Dark wood floors, silk sheets, a glass wall with a balcony that depicts the night skyline of a city I do not recognize - the entire package. If I was here under better circumstances, I would be basking in the glory of staying in a place this lavish.

But my bewilderment is short-lived when I realize I am not here by my own will. I pull the sheets off of me only to notice that I am not in the clothes I was in last night. Instead, I am wearing a black sweater and a rather large pair of black sweatpants. Hastily, I check underneath my clothes only to feel relieved that I still have on the getup I had on at the strip club.

Shooting up, I look around to see if there is anyone at all anywhere, but there is nobody. Quietly, I step off the bed only to notice a note on my side table that reads, "relax, you are safe" followed by the name of a man I have only heard of in myth.

Ramone.

The only thing I know about this man is that he is supposedly my boss. Apollo works for him, Zayn works for him, and I do, too. But it seems to me that everyone has an ulterior motive when it comes to me, so I do not know if the person who took me is not going to hurt me considering the fact that they had to kidnap me to get here.

My heart starts racing and I race to the balcony to see how far up I am, but considering the door is locked, I realize that there is nothing I can do except try to escape through the front door. As I'm walking through the room, my eyes fall on the brochure of the hotel which reads Mandarin Oriental, New York City.

My heart starts to race. I don't know why I'm in New York, and I don't know why "Ramone" kidnapped me if I'm supposed to be working for him, but all I know right now is that I need to leave before I am no longer able to find out.

Slowly, I twist open the door to my room, only to see a man standing in front of the suite. When he hears me, he turns around and immediately reached for his mic.

"She's awake."

He pushes my door open and is about to come inside but I push it back, trying to keep him out. Unfortunately, he is no ordinary man. He is ginormous and looks like he was hired to protect the president. But I don't know who he is and I am not willing to find out. Still, I am no match to the strength of such a brawny man, and he knows it too. So instead of fighting me, he just backs off and lets me shut the door in his face, locking it behind me.

Holy shit. What the hell am I supposed to do? I race back up to the balcony and try to pry the door open, hoping that it magically opens and I can cry out for help, but my attempts are of no use. I run around the room in hopes to find a phone, but they all seem to have been taken out of the room. My heart beats out of my chest, and just as I am about to unplug the lamp to break the window with it, I hear the door unlock behind me.

When the door twists open, I hold my lamp close to my chest, prepared to fight whoever walks in. But when I see that it is not the security guard, I hesitate.

A man who drips of confidence walks inside the room. He is in a dark grey suit, his hair and beard a silver color with a subtle gold chain tucked under his collar. When he sees me, he tilts his head just slightly, his mouth turning up into an amused smirk that makes me clutch my lamp closer to me.