"What does Aro like when it comes to the gardens? He seems much more open to the idea of their beauty. I doubt he would run their name into the mud like his brother does."

Marcus let out a deep chuckle. "You'll find that Aro likes buttercups. He's a bit childish."

"Ah, but so am I," I said as my hand graced against the large tree trunk. "Does it ever get boring around here? Do trials last all day or will I get you to myself most of the day. I'm not good with sharing, something I get from my mother."

"You will get your fair share of time with me, my dear Callidora. I have not been known to attend every trial like Aro and Caius. To be honest, I haven't attended most of the trials that have taken place since-" he stopped himself, looking down at the ground, "That doesn't matter, though, just means that you have more time with me."

I took in his rushed words. Was the reason why he did not attend trial a sore subject? Marcus was a king, he clearly had duties to attend to. To not do those... I could never think of a time where my own father, the king of the gods, did not witness a trial. I suspected that the gods had far fewer trials, but we had them nonetheless. Mommy would be highly upset if Daddy didn't do his job.

"Don't force yourself to be around me if it means that you don't do your job as king." My mate frowned, taking a flower in his hands. Was this not obvious to anyone but me? "You have a title and need to do the things that go along with it. You are a king-"

"That doesn't matter to me." It was ridiculous. Who didn't care about being king? Kings had duties. He had duties to both his brothers and the rest of the vampire world. Aro, Caius, and the guard couldn't do everything themselves.

"Well if it doesn't matter to you then it will have to matter to me. You are a king and I am a goddess, we both have duties to attend to that are outside of our control. No more skipping trials, especially not to see me."

I wouldn't have any more of it. My mind was already made up on the matter. I didn't have the heart to make things harder for the vampire world, even if he was my mate. I wanted him, but not like this. I couldn't have him like this.

My mate seemed less than pleased. In fact, he looked a bit upset that I would ask him to simply do his job.

"I want to make time for you. Yeah, before it was because I didn't want to do it, but now I have a reason to! How is that a bad thing, Callidora? You should be happy that I want to spend more time with you, my mate." It really was ridiculous. I had just- UGH!

"This is for-" I couldn't take any more of it. I wasn't going to repeat myself over and over again for some guy, mate or not. If he wasn't going to listen to me, I wasn't going to talk to him anymore.

Standing up, I started to leave, getting away from Marcus. "Where are you going?"

"Somewhere," my voice snapped with annoyance, "It doesn't matter, isn't that what you said?"

"Callidora you know I didn't mean it like that," he said, catching up to me, "Dear-"

"Don't you dare," I seethed, leaving the greenhouse. "You sound like my father."

"I do not sound like your father!" Marcus exclaimed, slamming the door behind him. "You don't have a clue how long I've waited for you! I've looked all over the world for my mate and now you're here. Don't you think we should spend any time together? Don't you want me?"

Trying to guilt me into not seeing the problem at hand, wow. Woe is him.

"Brushing off the problem isn't going to help!"