II, WAYS OF WISTERIA

Start from the beginning

"What is a virgin?" I ask.

"Someone who has never had sexual relations with anyone. Like you and I," sister Artemis answers. I nod, not knowing what this whole sex business was. I couldn't have had something I didn't understand.

"If a Goddess does not wish to be an eternal maiden, she may be married off by decree of Zeus. Her father must approve of a marriage not out of a mate bond. If there is a mating bond between two people, whether it be an immortal and a mortal or two immortals, it cannot be overruled by anyone, not even Zeus," This mating bond business seemed very strong if Daddy could not overrule it. "Zeus is very respectful of the mating bond, so anyone who has found their mates here will be safe. Mates are very rare, though. Only a few gods and goddesses have found theirs."

"How many?" Hebe and Artemis shrug. "Do any of the virgin goddesses have mates? Is that possible?"

"I guess some could, but the fates said that I literally don't have one. Just nothing when it comes to a mate bond. I've never been interested in having kids of my own or having relationships. Sounds boring to me," my older sister explains. "If you wanted, I think our father would let you see the fates to check it out. That's what Athena and I did. Both of us are asexual but father wanted to make sure we were also aromantic before we committed ourselves. Looks like we were right about not being interested. He was happy that he didn't have to fend off husbands for us. Aunt Hestia is the same way."

"Anyways, some people have mates and some people don't. From what I can tell, you likely have a mate out there waiting for you. Although, I wouldn't get your hopes up, most of us are thousands of years old and haven't found our mates. Humans are more likely to find theirs, and the majority of them don't even believe in soulmates!" Hebe continued, "Some goddesses are goddesses of natural elements, like fire or wind. Most of the children of the Olympians have more specialized roles. War, strife, childbirth. Every god and goddess has a job to play."

"So I have to find out what I'm good at?" The two of them nodded. "That sounds hard. I'm not good at much of anything. I assume there will be no ability for me to be the goddess of hugs?"

"No, not likely. We are here to help you find out what you'll be good at. Father usually assigns us to the younglings because we have a better idea of what they'll become. We're almost always right in our predictions," Artemis said. "What do you like to do?"

"I don't know."

"What do you not like to do?" This question was easier.

"I don't want to fall." The two of them chuckled. "What? Falling down sounds awful. Mommy is always scared that I'm going to fall. I promised her that I would make sure I didn't fall."

"Falling down is just another part of life, no matter what mother thinks," Hebe says, putting down her book. "Have you fallen down before?"

"No." My sisters hummed. "Don't make me fall, please."

"We should try something, Hebe," Artemis said. "This whole falling thing has me intrigued. I don't think I've ever seen a young immortal have such a strong fear of something before."

"I don't like the sound of this-" there was no time to complain because Artemis had picked me up. "Please don't drop me, sissy! Please don-"

My older sister threw me across the grassy meadow. Not thinking of what to do, I focused my energy on my feet, making sure not to fall on the ground. Never slipping, I managed the feat, staying firmly on my feet as I made a very graceful landing.

"Oh my nature," Artemis deadpanned, "We have a graceful baby goddess. Did she come out this graceful or is she just good with magic already? That seems kind of overpowered."