7

(Age 23, The 75th Hunger Games- Quarter Quell )

We'd slowed down to more of a walk now. For Peeta's sake because of his amputated leg.  I was aware of all of them. Katniss with her bow always raised, the way she'd grip the string just that extra bit tighter whenever she felt I got too close to Peeta. 

Finnick, whose trident was never not pointed directly behind my back. Even Mags, with her tiny pike had it pointed slightly higher whenever I'd take a step too close. 

I have decided that the only way to get myself out of this is to smother Mags in her sleep and steal her pike. Sadly she's the easiest target. If I can manage it, I'll steal my machete from Peeta and flee. I know he's strong so I'm not taking any chances. If I have to I'll make due to with just the pike. This is the only way after eliminating all other options in which I can escape without losing my own life. The one scenario in which I can win.

Finnick, in the short amount of time I'd spend with him today has shown me he's both smart and cunning. I knew his brain hadn't been conditioned like mine but I could tell he was going through multiple scenarios in his head too. None of which probably involved me not going after my own weapon. It felt for now I had the upper hand. 

"Mags! Spit that out!"

I turned to Mags who was chewing on some nuts while Katniss stared at her in horror. She can't go now, I need her. She can only die when I want her too!

I felt myself grabbing her shoulders in panic before turning her around to face me. I indicated to the palm I was holding out. "Spit. That. Out. Now!."

She pointed the pike at me before starring me down. I stared back angrily into her aged grey eyes that were weary of my entire being. She winked at me and I saw her throat bulge. Why that little shit!

Finnick chuckled at us. "I guess we'll just have to find out".

I let go of her shoulder wih a huff before I started walking as if that'd never even happened. I could feel Katniss looking at me questionably every two seconds but I chose to ignore it. I guess it was confusing behaviour since just an hour ago I attempted to killed Mags. 

I hadn't even bothered to look at Finnick, I just hoped he wouldn't catch on. Death by trident was not how I wanted to go.

We'd been walking for another twenty minutes. I heard the swing of my machete and rose my head in alarm. What the hell Peeta?

I heard myself gasp. "What are you doing? I told you it'll make the blade go blunt!"

Everyone stopped and turned to me. I could feel myself getting angrier the more time I spend with them. First Mags, now this?

Peeta shrugged. "There's too much vegetagion and we've got to get through somehow, right?"

I held my tongue. Of course its at the expense of my signiture!. I heard Finnick chuckle behind me and I snapped my head to him with a glare.

I faltered slightly before composing my glare. He was only smiling at me? What's going on his head right now?. I huffed. "It's the only machete in the arena".

I know I sounded like a whiney child. But I would be scared every second for the rest of these games knowing there isn't a machete in here with me. More than I currently am with all these tributes who hate me, only tolerating me because of Finnick who also hates me. Anyways, I'd be so scared to the point I'd be in a constant state of panic. Like, can't focus on anything kind of panic. Panic that can get you killed.

Finnick gave me an encouging smile. "Well then it's a good thing your talented with Knifes, isn't that right Katniss?"

I bit my lip and looked at Katniss. She looked at me before sharing a look with Finnick. "Would've thought knifes would be the first thing you'd grab".