CHAPTER 2

Tranio sauntered away, making his way to Adrienne's line, predictably long and predominantly populated by boys. Raphael chuckled, a camaraderie forged over ages binding him with Tranio.

Perplexed on which queue to join, Raphael strolled through the hallway, biding his time until the crowd dispersed, and the remaining rooms were up for grabs. His aimless wandering ceased abruptly as he collided with an unexpected obstacle.

"Can't you watch where you're going?" admonished Ashley, retrieving her phone, its screen now fractured. Aware of the effort her parents had invested in procuring it for communication, frustration ignited within her.

"Pfft," scoffed Raphael, nonchalantly thrusting his hands into his pockets, seemingly unfazed. The flames of irritation grew within Ashley; he seemed utterly insane.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!" she shouted, escalating her tone, but Raphael continued his casual stride.

"Hey!" she bellowed louder, and receiving no acknowledgment, she seized him, delivering a resounding slap, capturing the attention of everyone in Morrisons' bustling hallway. Raphael, taken aback, stood in stunned silence—never before having been subject to such a reprimand, let alone from a girl.

"How dare you!" she erupted.

"You crack my phone, stroll away as if it's nothing?!" Ashley's fury reached new heights. For her, the day had already been marred by moving to this peculiar school, surrounded by individuals with seemingly unimaginable powers, and now her phone lay shattered, courtesy of a boy who laughed it off.

"You don't want to be messing with me," Raphael retorted, his tone unyielding, pride evident in his demeanor, accentuating his wealth.

"Why? What can you do?" Ashley challenged, arms folded across her chest.

"My dad could bring down this whole school if he wanted to," Raphael calmly asserted, his arrogance unmistakable.

"Your dad, not you," Ashley retorted, a smirk playing on her lips, inciting a gasp from the onlookers.

"What's going on here?" inquired Miss Maria, threading through the crowd to the heart of the dispute.

"Both of you, I'll let you go because you clearly don't know the rules of Morrison High, one of which is no fighting in the halls," declared Miss Maria, directing Raphael and Ashley to Adrienne and Valentino's line.

"Hi," greeted Adrienne, a warm smile aimed at Raphael, who, still aflame with the recent altercation, ignored her as if she were invisible.