Chapter - 12

Grey.

I had decided to wear grey. A spaghetti strap, short grey dress to be precise. My waist length hair fell down in soft curls, my ears adorned with hoop earrings I had found in the closet with black platform heels and a single delicate gold necklace around my neck.

Anxiously, I waited for the clock to struck 7, anticipation clear on my face for the night. A date with the Rex Regio. Holy. This was really happening.

Just a month ago, I was running through the woods trying to get away from him and now here I was, jumping with nerves as I waited for my soulmate to come and whisk me away for the date he had planned.

What has life even become?

I frowned when I noticed that the clock had struck 7:30.

Huh? He was late?

Worry grew in me as I wondered if something had happened to him, backed with insecurity that maybe he hadn't wanted to go out with me. I would feel something if he was hurt right? But I hadn't. Maybe he really did not want to go with me. Maybe he regretted asking me that.

Sharp pain erupted in my heart at the thought that our mate had not wanted us, so I pushed it away. Impossible. He was the king! He did not speak words he did not mean... right?

Minutes turned to hours and still... there was no sign of him.

Sighing, I sat back down on the couch, picking up the book I had been reading, too depressed to remove the things I had got all pretty with.

Muttering curses at him as I looked down at the words trying to read them, I threw every petty insult at him while trying to assure myself that I had no reason to be sad about. I felt like a dumb high-school kid who just got stood up.

His lose. This was his lose. Not mine. I can get someone else to go out with. He isn't the last man. If he wants to stand me up then fine! I'll find someone who won't, I thought bitterly as I glanced down at the words again, mind too jumbled up to read. I was angry and god was I mortified.

That's it! It's bloody 10:30. I'll kill him the next I see of him. I'll kill him. Kill him! Kill h-

Sleep consumed me before I could utter the rest of the words out, the anger I was using to shadow my insecurities slowly vanishing into nothing.

Gentle shuffling was what woke me up next.

Drowsily, I opened my eyes, only to be met with his devilish face already looking down at me while his arms held me into him.

"You look angelic little warrior." He softly murmured, nudging his nose with mine as he bent down. I looked around, trying to see what time it was. 11:38 shone brightly on the clock by the couch, my eyes dragging back to him.

"You're late." I whispered, resting the side of my face on his chest to get comfortable, not caring bout the fact that he was carrying me right now; I was too bloody tired to think about that.

"Work. I'll make it up to you. I'm sorry." His jaw clenched, my half shut eyes noticing the tenseness. I nodded, surprisingly not angry.

"I was worried." I drowsily spoke, wrapping my arms around his neck. He abruptly stopped walking, making me look up dazed and confused.

"You were?" He asked, surprise clear in his voice. I nodded as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Worried that something happened to you. Or that you regretted asking me o-"

"I would never ever regret anything related to you. Do not doubt yourself for my incompetence. Clear?" Smiling lazily, I nodded, somehow; dumbly perhaps; believing every word he spoke.