i

[12:42 am]

you jolted awake in a cold sweat, thinking of the nightmare you just woke up from. before wiping the beads off of your forehead, you turned to your left and faced a clock that read 12:42am.

hmph, you thought to yourself as you looked toward the closed curtains. faint light shown through the windows when the occasional car passed by. the only other light in the room was the faint glow of your pc.

after catching your breath and recollecting your thoughts, you realize you forgot to take your anxiety medication. most of your night terrors originated from stress, anxiety, and fear. luckily it's saturday— err, sunday now, so you don't need to worry about school for the time being.

after 10 minutes, the shock subsided and you finally got out of bed and began walking to the kitchen. as you rummaged through the medicine cabinet, patches let herself be known by meowing beside your leg. you smiled, before leaning down and petting the top of her head. returning your focus to the cabinets, you came across your prescription and placed the correct dose in your palms. grabbing a tall glass, you filled it halfway with water from the tap.

as you set the empty glass in the sink, a voice sounds from upstairs.

"y/n? are you down there?" Clay calls. 

"yeah, i'm thirsty," you responded.

after a brief moment of silence, he asked if you would join him upstairs. you obliged.

walking into his room was always a fun experience. his walls were lined with various trophies from his high school years, along with academic certificates. however, some of the more impressive decor would be the many plaques from youtube. he had LED light strips lining the top of the walls, and some wrapped underneath his desk. fanart was scattered all over the room; hung on the walls, displayed on shelves, or laying on his desk.

"hey," you said upon arrival. he spun around from his desk and had a soft smile on his lips.

"you alright? you're usually asleep by now."

Clay is such a caring brother, always looking out for you, and is there when you need him. he knows you have anxiety but he doesn't really know about the nightmares.

after a few moments of silence, you told him about the nightmares and how you never got enough sleep. he pulled you in for a gentle hug as you explained the detail of your dreams.

shortly after, you felt hot tears slowly stream down your face. you were always the sensitive sibling, "i just worry that i'm going to lose you. or that i'm not going to get my schooling done or i'll get bad grades. what if something terrible happens to you, and you can't pay the bills or we can't afford to eat and-"

"y/n, i'm not gonna let anything bad happen to you okay? you worry too much. are you taking your meds?" he said after he released you from the hug, but still keeping a firm grip on your shoulders.

after a guilty smile pulled at your lips, clay sighed.

"you need to start remembering y/n. i'm serious. but for now— you can go chill in my bed if you want. i'm not going to sleep for awhile."

"thanks," you smiled as you spoke before walking to his bed and snuggling under the covers. you weren't surprised when patches jumped up to your right. you gave her a reassuring pet before turning over and closing your eyes.

as sleep tugged on your eyelids, you heard clay say goodnight, but couldn't make out the words he said afterwards.

[word count: 550]
[edited word count: 640]

[written september 29th 2020, 11:10pm]
[rewrite: june 8 2021, 12:03 am]

A/N: this chapter was originally shit but i edited it. hopefully it's less shitty. you are loved <3