"If you had an idea of what might happen, what would it be?"

    "Well, some of you might be formed into patrols to keep the peace in the Outer Rim. Others may be reassigned to new posts throughout the galaxy. I imagine the Coruscant Guard will stay as well. What would you like to do?"

    "I don't know." Fox leaned his head back, meeting her gaze. She bent down and kissed him, then continued to rub his shoulders.

    "When we first kissed, you told me you'd forget the consequences and not get caught. What happens if you do get caught?" Riyo asked.

    "I don't really know. Something like that hasn't happened before. I just know there'd be a lot of trouble."

    "I have a friend who is a Jedi general. She's in love with her commander. I can't say who they are, not because I don't trust you, but because she trusts me not to. If they get caught, she risks being expelled from the Order and from what I've gathered, he could be discharged from the army or sent back to Kamino. Yet, they still persevere. They take as many precautions as they can, but the risk still remains."

    Riyo paused and came back in front of him again. She laced her hand with his. "I have to know. Are you certain about us? If you're not..." she bit her lip. "I won't be angry at you, but I'll ask that you stop seeing me. I don't want you to get into trouble and we both know the risks. If that's not something you're willing to do, then..."

    Fox pressed his lips against hers, stopping her before she could say anything more. When he pulled back, he cupped her face with one hand and met her golden stare. "I've never been more willing for anything. I don't care about the consequences or the risks. Riyo, I love you."

    "I love you too." She kissed him again. "I have one more question." He nodded. "Can you give others the same allowances you give yourself?"

    "You're talking about Mairin and Jairo, aren't you?" Riyo didn't give him an answer. He took it as a yes. "I promise, I will do everything I can to make sure neither of them get into trouble. I can only do so much, though."

    "I know." They sat there for a bit longer, simply watching each other. Riyo stepped back, finally. "I..." Fox stood and gave her a prompting look. He slid his hands down her waist and kissed her forehead. "I want you to stay." Her voice was little more than a whisper. "With me."

    Fox hooked a finger beneath her chin and lifted her face to his. "All you had to do was ask." He heard her breath quicken. He swept her off her feet and carried her towards the bedroom, making sure the door closed behind them.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Building
Riyo Chuchi

    Late the next afternoon, Padmé's ship landed at the Senate Building. Riyo rubbed her eyes and followed Padmé out onto the platform. Mairin wasn't far behind them. They had left Naboo earlier that morning. On their way to Coruscant, Chancellor Palpatine had announced that he was calling an emergency session of the Senate.

    They'd had no time to stop by their apartments before the meeting was scheduled, so they had come directly to the Senate Building. Fox, Clay, Archer, and Jairo had stayed behind to finish up their duties on Naboo. They would be returning soon enough.

    As the three of them, along with a few of Padmé's handmaidens, made their way through the halls, Riyo let herself process the events of the night before. She felt herself begin to flush, and she quickly wiped the expression away.

    When she'd woken on Naboo that morning, Fox had already left. She was grateful for that too, because Mairin had come in not long after. It had taken one look for Mairin to catch onto what had occurred. She was still snickering when they entered the Pantoran seat. Padmé continued on towards her own.

    Riyo sat down and Mairin situated herself beside her. "So," Mair drawled. "How was it?"

    Riyo rolled her eyes. "I have no clue what you're talking about." Mairin elbowed her, suddenly. "What do you want me to say?"

    "I don't know. Nothing, really. I just want to make you uncomfortable," Mairin laughed.

    "Right, you're so very considerate."

    "You know he's not going to be able to stay away now. What will you do?"

    "We've already discussed it." Riyo stroked her chin, thinking. "We'll have to make sure Asha doesn't do her late night patrols anymore."

    Mairin shuddered. "I don't know how you plan on stopping her."

    "Me neither. I suppose I'll think of something. I did say we, which means you get to help."

    "What if I don't?"

    "You never know."

    "You're cruel, Riyo Chuchi," Mairin laughed.

    They fell silent as the Chancellor's seat appeared. Mas Amedda waved his hands, shouting for order. The Senate quieted gradually. Chancellor Palpatine stood, at last.

    "My friends, I'm sure you've all heard by now about the crisis on Naboo. I want to assure you that I am well. As are all of the senators and officials who were present during the attack. It is thanks to the Jedi and many brave guards that we are all safe," the Chancellor began.

    "Times have been hard recently. Coruscant has been fraught with attacks and betrayals. I wish to see more hope within the leaders of the Republic. I want us to feel safe and to remember that we are strongest when we are united. I am announcing a Senate Ball, scheduled within a fortnight. It is my hope that through this ball, we will remember that we are all friends and that we are all striving for peace. I know many of you will not agree with this tactic. We have more important matters at hand. I am resolved, though. I wish to see you all there."

    The Chancellor sat back down. Clamor ensued. Riyo leaned towards Mairin. "That's a bold tactic. I don't see very many people who would be supportive of a ball right now."

    "The Chancellor might be right, though. It could be helpful in reuniting the Senate," Mair replied.

    "I suppose we'll see." Riyo stood and headed back into the hallway.

    "Can we go home now?" Mairin asked. "I'm exhausted."

    "That's your own fault," Riyo laughed. "But I share the feeling. Yes, we can go home." She stepped out onto a landing pad and hailed a speeder. They were soon soaring towards the Senate Apartments. It took only a few minutes for them to arrive.

    Asha was waiting when they entered the main room. "My Lady, how was your trip?"

    Riyo and Mairin exchanged glances. "It was...eventful," she said at last.

    "I'll be back in time to help you get ready for supper," Mairin said. She gave Asha a cold look and walked towards a lift.

    "You should be helping the Senator unpack," Asha called.

    Riyo shook her head. "Leave it be, Asha. She's fine."

    "Yes, M'lady." Asha followed her into her room. Riyo let her hair loose and quickly changed into some more comfortable clothes. When she'd finished, she sprawled out on her bed and closed her eyes. "What was the session about?"

    "The Chancellor announced a ball. He wants us to feel more united."

    "I see." Asha continued to move quietly about the room. At last, Riyo heard the door hiss open again. "Sleep well, Senator." The door closed.