Eight: Homecoming

Start from the beginning

"The sophomore court is Cailyn Peters." She reads as we walk towards the centre of the court. "Cailyn is the daughter of Charlie Swan and sister of Bella Swan. She loves playing basketball against her friends, watching football with her father, Charlie Swan, and hanging out with friends." We stop to take pictures halfway there. "Escorting Cailyn is Cameron Williams. Cameron Williams is the son of Bethany and Rodrick Williams. He likes going to the movies with friends, and eating at the diner with his best friend Cailyn."

By the time she stops reading I'm on the other side of Olivia while he's on the other side of Jason. I look back and Jamie and Derek started walking. Her bright yellow dress flowing in the spotlight.

"Jamie Eastman is the daughter of Tonya Eastman and the granddaughter of Dawn Eastman

"Jamie Eastman is the daughter of Tonya Eastman and the granddaughter of Dawn Eastman. She likes playing travel softball and basketball, and hanging out with her siblings." Angela reads. Jamie and Derek stop to take pictures Galway. "Escorting Jamie is Derek Black, Derek is the son of James and Alison Black and the Grandson of the late Maurice Black. He loves going to the beach in La Push and playing basketball against his cousins."

Jamie took her place beside me as Angela started reading Jessica's introduction. I hated how she got the most expensive dress. I wish she were as ugly on the outside as she was on the inside. It's not fair to people who are beautiful on the inside.

After Angela reads off Mike and Jessica's introductions they crown her homecoming queen and we finally get to take pictures.

Charlie gives me a hug and wishes me good luck before we take a picture together. As I'm talking to him he waves at someone to come over from behind me. I turn around to see Jacobs grinning face.

"Where is Cailyn?" He jokes. "Have you seen her." I roll my eyes before giving him a hug even though I just saw him Saturday. Jake takes a picture of Charlie and I, then we all take one together. I take one with just Jake, then I take one with Cam and Jake before heading back to the locker room.

I carefully slip off my dress and put it into the plastic cover. Jessica is silent as she gets ready also. I brush out my hair and Jamie puts it into two french braids after I wash off my face and throw away my eyelashes.

I sit and stair at my ball until coach comes in to talk to us.

"I'm gonna keep it short today." She starts. "Because I know you guys are ready to get out there and play. Let's get this win girls. Team on three!" We all place our hands in the middle and yell "1, 2, 3, team!" before heading onto the court.

When I get out there I'm surprised to see Bella sitting my Angela Weber and Eric Yorkie in the stands. I smile at her and she gives me a little half wave.

I watch the other team warm up before we go into another huddle. Coach talks to us about the game plan and the starters go onto the court.

"What are you doing?" Coach asks me as I walk towards centre. I look back at her and give her a puzzled look. "Sorry if I didn't specify. Because of your actions yesterday, you aren't starting this game." I take a deep breath before releasing the balls of my hands and taking a seat on the bench.

She sends me in for Jessica in the first minute of the game so what was the point of not starting me? They already have 8 points on us. No one is taking charges, they're two guards are both at least 6'0. They drive straight to the goal and no one is stopping them.

We're on defence and we're in a 2, 3 zone. Jamie and I are on bottom. The huge guard drives straight towards me. I cover my chest and brace for impact. She knocks me down and makes her shot. My butt hurts from taking the fall. I look to the ref.

He makes a punching motion signaling a charge ani hear cheers from the crowd. Jamie helps me up and she passes the ball in. I immediately pick up my dribble and get low. I can break their press if I use Jamie.

I pass the ball back to Jamie and cut behind her. She passes the ball back and I take off. They finally catch up to me when I'm at the top of the key. Jamie signals for a screen.

I dribble full speed towards her, making the defender knock into her and rush towards the goal. I jump stop and someone swats my arm. It went in, that's an And 1. The refs calls the foul and I step to the free throw line.

He passes me the ball. One dribble. Two dribbles. Spin. Shoot. It swished and hits the back of the rim. I smile to myself as I shoot the other shot. I hits them rim and Jamie rebounds it.
5-8
It's their ball and I rush back to half court. She's taking her time, thinking of a way to score. If there was a defence ranking I would be in the top 10. There's no way she's getting past me.

I've locked her up just above the half court line. She has three....two......one.... the ref blows the whistle. She took too long to cross half court, it's out ball.

Jamie passes it in. I pass it back to her and cut backside. I get it wide open on the corner and shoot. It bricks. Jamie gets the rebound and puts it right back up.
7-8

I pick them up just ahead of half court. This time she uses her brain and passes ahead. The girl shoots, I block my girl out. The ball bounces right towards me and I take off. She's too slow and I hit an easy fast break.
14-8.
The quarter is over. Coach is saying how we need to beat them by a lot. She doesn't have much to say besides telling us how the press should go, instead of just Jamie and I.

We go back in and it's their ball. Jamie and I double guard the point guard and she can't get it in on time. It's our ball now.

I pass the ball to Jamie and we book it all the way. They try to stop her but they leave me wide open at the block and it goes in.
16-8

I pick myself off the ground and hold my tender wrist. It's just sore from landing on it. I wasn't expecting a charge but she slammed into me hard. That was my fourth charge taken so I automatically get two free throws. I make the first and miss the second. There are only 54 seconds left on the clock.
55-34.

We end up stalling for the rest of the game and the clock runs out. She briefly talks to us about the game before I get dressed and head upstairs.

Jacob and Billy are in the hallway with my dad. I give him a huge hug and give Jake and Billy little side hugs. We all talk about the game and how it went great and Jake brags about how he won his game. I wave them goodnight and walk to my car.

"Hey." I hear a voice behind me. I turn around and see the La Push coach behind me. "Cailyn Peters right?"

"Yeah that's me." I say as I unlock my door.

"I wanted to talk to you about coming to play at La Push." He says. I pause for a second and think.

"High school teams aren't supposed to recruit." I state.

"But they do." He says. "Wouldn't it be nice to go to school with other Natives?" Getting in touch with that side would be nice. "Just give me a call and we'll figure things out if you decide you want to play." He says and gives me his card.

I unlock my car door and think about my offer while I'm driving. The coach at Forks really doesn't know what he's doing. He just lets me and Jamie do whatever. I came up with the press, not him. But I can't just leave Jamie.

I walk into the house and Bella is already asleep in her room. I take a shower and crawl in bed next to her, ready to wake up to her screaming.