Chapter Twelve: It's Time

Elena was surprised when she felt wet between her legs. She was even more surprised when she looked down and saw a puddle of what looked like water on the floor.

A wave of intense pain rocked through her, and in fear, she clutched the kitchen counter.

When the pain was over, she assessed her situation. From what she could tell, she was in labour. Her water must've broken, and the pain must've been a contraction.

But she was only just going into her thirtieth week! The baby was coming crazy early.

" Damon!" she screamed, another contraction crashing through her.

Damon was by her side in a second. " Are y-" he began, but then he must have put the pieces together because his face reflected pure fear.

He reached out and gripped Elena's hand tightly. By this time, the contraction was over.

" Damon, what do we do? I'm scared?" she asked.

Damon lead Elena into the living room and sat her down on the couch. He kneeled in front of her and put his hands on her knees.

" Okay, Elena baby, stay calm, take deep breaths," he told her.

Elena took in ten deep, long breaths.

" Now," Damon said, " let's talk about this. We never decided what we would do in this case."

" We have to have a home birth," Elena demanded. " What if the baby turns out to be supernatural?"

Damon nodded. " You're right."

" Do you know anything about child birth?" Elena asked.

He blushed. " Well, a little. . . when I was, y'know, human, I wanted to be a doctor."

Elena smiled briefly, before letting out a groan as another contraction began. She gripped Damon's hand, and good thing he wasn't human, or else he was sure she would've broken it.

" Call everyone," she demanded through gritted teeth.

Immediately, Damon reached for his cell phone and pulled it out. He called Alaric, who happened to be with Jenna, Bonnie, Jeremy and Caroline. They all agreed to head over in about half an hour.

Stefan entered the room, obviously hearing Elena's shrieks, to see her doubled over, gripping Damon's hand. He obviously knew what was happening, and silently made his way over to her other side, taking her hand.

" We have to get her upstairs," Damon concluded.

Stefan nodded and eased Elena to her feet. She let out a loud groan. " Shh, it's okay," Stefan whispered. He put his arm round her shoulder and they hobbled up the stairs together.

Damon took action straight away, finding some towels and hot water. He headed up the stairs behind them and helped Elena onto the bed. He laid the towels under her bottom half and put the warm water beside the bed on the floor.

Elena cried out in pain, bunching the sheets underneath her in her fists. Stefan reached for hand, grabbing it and softly squeezing.

As Damon took a look at how much Elena was dilated, he was thankful that she was wearing a knee-length dress.

" You're three centimetres dilated," he concluded, pulling the dress back over her.

She nodded, reaching frantically for his hand. He took her hand in his and held it tightly.

" Everything will be okay," he whispered, gently stroking a strand of hair from her face.

There was a loud knock on the door, and Damon looked at Stefan. " Keep an eye on her?" he asked. His younger brother nodded.

Damon answered the door to see five frightened, wary faces staring at him. He couldn't help but chuckle nervously as he opened the door wider to let them in.

That's when the questions started.

" Is she okay?"

" Who's delivering the baby?"

" Can we help?"

" Where is she?"

" Enough!" Damon cried. Everybody went silent. " Elena is fine. She's up stairs. No you can't help. And I'm delivering the baby."

" You?" Caroline asked incredulously.

" What?" Damon snapped.

" You're delivering a baby?"

" Problem, Blondie," he challenged.

Caroline glared at him. " Don't call me th-"

A large cry from Elena stopped her mid sentence. Damon rushed up the stairs immediately.

" What's wrong?" he asked.

" Damon, it hurts," Elena moaned.

" I know, baby," he said, kissing her hair. " It's going to be okay."

It's go time, Damon thought.