Chapter Four: Damon's Diary

When Elena walks through the door, Damon is at her side straight away, catching her jacket as she took it off. Elena looked at him weirdly.

" What?" Damon asked innocently. He knew he shouldn't have been so obvious. Elena couldn't find out about Katherine, nor Stefan.

" You're acting. . . weird."

" How so?" Damon asked, following her up the stairs and into the bathroom.

" You're being nice," she said bluntly while putting her hair into a tight ponytail. She turned the tap on.

" Only because I love you," Damon grinned, kissing her cheek.

Elena smiled, splashing her face with water, washing out her makeup. She patted her face dry with a towel.

" How was school?" Damon asked, leaning against the sink.

Elena giggled. " You're acting like Ric."

" I'm not that old," Damon disagreed.

" No, actually you're older."

Damon rolled his eyes and pouted. Elena laughed and kissed him gently. Damon put his hands round her waist and attacked her neck with kisses. She giggled, breaking away and heading into their room.

She threw off all her clothes until she was standing in her lacy underwear, raking through her clothes.

Elena threw on some fitness leggings and a spaghetti strap tank. Damon looked at her, puzzled.

" I'll see you later," Elena said, picking up her phone and kissing his cheek.

" Wait, where are you going?" Damon asked.

" For a jog," Elena smiled.

" Alone?" Damon panicked.

" Yeah, like I always do," Elena knitted her eyebrows together.

" I can come with you."

" No, it's fine," Elena said. " What's up with you today? You're acting weird."

Damon paused and sighed. " Nothing. Enjoy your jog." He kissed Elena's lips lightly.

She smiled and used her vampire speed to leave the house in record time.

-_-_-_-

Elena awoke with a start. The first thing she did was look at her belly. The small bump was still there. She smiled. Looked for Damon's loving arms. He wasn't there, but she could hear him walking around downstairs, she could smell blood.

Elena just then realised how hungry she was. After all, she had only been eating for one, and she should really be eating for two. She stood up.

Elena looked around the room. She realised that she had actually never looked properly at Damon's side of the room. On hers, she had a small bedside table, filled with underwear. Her wardrobe was in the corner, then she had a small sofa chair under the window. Her mirror and desk was in the fat corner, where her makeup was stored, along with her flat iron.

She knew her side like the back of her hand, but Damon's was a mystery. She walked towards his side of the room. Elena observed his bedside table, cluttered and unsightly. She quietly opened one of the drawers. Inside was his boxer shorts. She closed the drawer and walked towards his wardrobe.

The inside was just as she had imagined. Filled with junk. She smiled, unsurprised, and closed the wardrobe. Over in the corner, she noticed a bookshelf. On the bookshelf, there were many books with well known titles - Of Mice and Men, numerous Shakespeare works - but Elena couldn't help but notice a book without a title. She slide it out and blew the dust off the cover.

She opened it to the first page.

Dear Diary,

Woah. Did I actually just write that? I swear I'm losing it. . . I mean, this is the sort of lameass thing that Stefan would do. Stefan, my dick little bro who wears the whole 'tortured-vampire-with-human-emotions' thing everyday. If only I had a little bit of humanity left in me. . . I might have just put him out of his pain decades ago. But, alas, I am a bastard, and I always will be.

Anyway, none of that matters. My ass of a brother isn't the reason I started writing in this damn thing anyway. I guess you could say that the reason is a girl. The reason is Elena.

I mean, Elena is no Katherine, of course not. Katherine was more fiery, more angry, maybe even more passionate than Elena. I think maybe she's what kept me going, but I have no real way of knowing. And now it turns out that she's a cold hearted bitch.

But Elena. That girl. I think she's put some sort of spell on me. The blood lust is just too much when I'm around. I can imagine sinking my fangs into her pale neck, swallowing her salty blood. I can imagine it - almost feel it - sliding down my throat. I can imagine drinking up the last of her sweet blood, imagine letting her go, imagine her falling to the ground, dead.

I can't imagine anything that would give me more pleasure. So why can't i do it? Why?

I know that it's not because of Stefan. It would please me immensely to take his last chance at happiness away from him. He could burn in hell and even then I don't think I'd care. Boy do I miss the days when he was fun. When he was the Ripper.

And sweet little Elena has awakened something inside of me, something I haven't felt since Katherine. She is toying with my switch. Sometimes it is off, and I want to devour her. . . feed on her. . . drink her. And sometimes, it is on, and I want to care for her. . . to love her. . .?

I knew writing in this damned thing would make things worse. My thoughts are all jumbled now. I don't know what I'm feeling. I don't know what's true and what's not anymore.

I might write in this again. . . might not.

- Damon Salvatore.

This was Damon's diary. Elena held his thoughts in her hand. She knew it was wrong to read about his private thoughts. But it was so delightfully cliché. She placed it back on the shelf hurriedly and rushed back to bed when she heard footsteps nearing the stairs. She heard Damon enter the room.

" Morning," Damon said quietly.

Elena groaned as though she had just woke up and turned to face him. She smiled and said, " Hey."

Damon moved over to the bed and lay down. He slid under Elena so as her head was resting on his chest and began stroking her shiny, long hair. Elena drew invisible patterns on his chest with her slender fingers.

Suddenly, she whizzed up and straddled Damon's chest. She kissed him lightly, and he kissed her back, gripping her waist tightly. Gently, he stood up and lifted her with him, pinning her against the wall and flattering her jaw line with kisses. Elena wrapped his shirt open, and he slid it off. She ran her hands over his tightly packed chest as he kissed her.

He pulled away quickly to pull her t-shirt over her head. He laughed quietly and so did she.

He quickly turned her and guided her back to bed, where he lay on top of her and kissed her neck, sucking on her major artery.

" Go ahead," she whispered, pulling her hair to the other side.

" Are you sure? I don't want to hurt you, or the baby." He said, looking at the point on her neck that he had previously been sucking on.

" I trust you, Damon," Elena said, " I trust you."

Upon that, Damon brought out his fangs, veins appearing under his eyes. Elena had never really noticed how beautiful he was in his primal state. And then Damon gently and slowly sunk his fangs into her soft flesh. She groaned and threw her head back, revelling in the feeling.

Damon pulled his fangs out after a few minutes. " I love you, Elena."

" I love you too, Damon," she told him, and reached down to touch her slightly swollen belly.