Chapter Thirty Six: Car Crash

" So, Stefan, when are we gonna meet this girlfriend of yours?" Elena asked, leaning over the frying pan. She was wearing only one of Damon's dress shirts, Stefan noted.

The thing was, Stefan didn't really want to introduce them to the girl he's been seeing. Really, she was just a distraction. From Elena, from Caroline. From all of them.

" Soon," he lied.

Elena sighed, flipping a piece of French toast onto the last plate. Damon and Annabelle were still asleep, and she and Stefan had been up for a good while waiting on them. Finally, when they had decided that they weren't waking up, Elena made breakfast for the two of them.

" Stefan," she said, placing a plate in front of Stefan, " you don't need to lie."

Stefan popped a piece of French toast in his mouth and looked up at Elena, who by this time, was sitting across from him and digging into her own.

" I'm not lying," he said, his mouth full of food.

Elena rolled her eyes and sighed. "
Sureeee."

Stefan breathed a small sigh of relief when Elena didn't say anything more. He had escaped the talk of his girlfriend. . . for now.

_____________________________

" Where do you want to go, anyway?" Damon asked, holding the car door open as Elena strapped Annabelle into the backseat.

Elena shrugged. " I was thinking somewhere simple - The Grille, maybe." She closed the door to the back and hopped in the front seat.

Damon nodded. " Then that's where we'll go." He closed Elena's door and walked round to the other side, hopping into the drivers seat.

The were driving for a while when the bird hit the window. The crow came out of nowhere, hitting the windscreen. Elena shrieked and Annabelle screamed as Damon swerved, the car spinning out of control. Damon grappled with the steering wheel, and finally gave up when it was clear he would not regain control. His hand found Elena's and he looked at her, nodding.

Elena threw her door open and flew out of the car, landing only metres away from it. She turned to see that Damon had done the same, and together, they used their strength to stop the car from spinning.

The first thing on Elena's mind when the car had stopped was Annabelle. She made eye contact with Damon and he could see the fear in her eyes. He immediately registered why she was afraid and they both rushed to the car.

Elena pulled the car door from it's hinges and stuck her head inside. A thousand things were running through her head as she peaked in and saw her daughter.

The little girl had her eyes closed, seemingly unconscious, with a large wound travelling from her forehead to the middle of her cheek.

" Oh my god," Elena muttered, picking the toddler up from her seat. She held Annabelle's head to her chest and immediately heard the faint, but still there, heartbeat.

Elena sighed in relief, nodding at Damon.

" We have to get her to the emergency room," Damon said urgently.

Elena nodded, tears in her eyes, and handed the little girl to Damon. Damon was about to begin running when Elena took a dizzy turn, feeling faint. She put all her weight on the car, which, as it turned out, was not a good idea.

The car smashed beneath her and she stumbled, almost falling over. Damon's hand held her up but she was fading.

I thought vampires couldn't faint, was the last thing she though before she did just that.