Chapter Twenty Six: A Visit from Katherine

Caroline was in Mystic Falls visiting the week that Bonnie and Elena decided to take Anna dress shopping. So they made it a day out, took the little baby to buy her first dress.

Elena was glad her little girl would grow up around such loving people, especially people like Caroline, who was one of the bubbliest people Elena had ever met. She was also glad that, despite all her losses, her baby would grow up with such a large family.

Bonnie and Caroline drove to her house and waited outside for Elena, who was just finished straightening her hair. Damon was out with Stefan so when she was finished her hair, she just picked up her little girl and ran out of the house.

" Hey, guys," she said, smiling as she jumped into the backseat and strapped Annabelle in.

" Hey, Elena," the girls said in unison.

An hour later, they pulled up at the mall just outside Mystic Falls. Elena unstrapped her baby and climbed out the car and they all headed towards the large mall.

Caroline wanted to go into Forever 21 first and Elena agreed at she needed more clothes. They spent a while walking round and Elena picked out a blue sundress that would be perfect for Jenna's outdoor baby shower.

" Where do you want to go next?" Bonnie asked as they left the store.

" The baby store!" Caroline squealed and Elena laughed.

Elena handed Annabelle to Caroline who was practically bouncing off the walls. She skipped around the baby store, collecting dresses upon dresses and trying them on Annabelle.

Eventually, Caroline came out of the changing room with Anna dressed in a small, baby pink dress. Diamonds traced the collar and Annabelle was gurgling happily. Elena and Bonnie agreed that the dress was perfect.

After purchasing it, they decided that she needed somewhere to wear her dress so they took her out for ice cream, though Elena ate most of it because the baby was too small.

" You know, it's been so long since we all went out," Elena said. " Why don't I hand the baby into Damon and we can go out tonight?"

_____________________________________________

Damon was still unsure about looking after Annabelle on his own. He knew that she was his daughter and sooner or later he would have to care for her on his own, but still, it was difficult.

He had just gotten her down for a nap when he heard the whooshing from downstairs. Curiously, he zoomed down the stairs, to see non other than Katherine Pierce stood in the middle of his living room.

" Hello, Damon," she purred, wearing a smirk on her face.

" To what do I owe this great discomfort, Katherine?" he asked sarcastically.

Katherine laughed throatily. " I was just coming to check up on you." She made her way over to him slid a finger from between his brows onto the bridge of his nose. " Where is that baby of yours?"

Damon frowned. " What do you want, Katherine?"

She pouted. " You don't want me gone do you, Damon?"

" Of course I do," he said matter-of-fact-ly.

Katherine threw her head back and laughed, and then she was gone.

Damon whizzed up the stairs to check on Anna, who had woken, but she was still there. Still alive. He sighed, making his way over to her and picking her up.

" You know," he said, cradling her, " you could go a little easier on me - I'm new at this."

When she just stared up at him, he smiled.

" Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm not very good at this. But I'm trying, okay? And what really matters is that I won't let anything happen to you or mommy. Ever. I love you both more than anything."

Damon bent down to kiss his daughter on the head and when he pulled away, she was asleep. She smirked to himself.

Maybe I'm better at this than I thought.