Here Comes Goodbye

🌸Marinette

Damian guides us to the gym, and as we walk I try to process the information they just gave me. Each of the girls is walking happily hand in hand with their father, while Hayden is accompanying me a few steps behind them.

Is this what my future looks like then? Damian Wayne, smart, handsome, and apparently a good father. Three beautiful and adorable children. Seems to perfect to be true. After what I lived the last few years I thought that such a future would be impossible for me.

And then I remember. 'Despite what I told you, I like to think that my children will have such great personalities that no matter what name they have, they will make it completely their own. A Daniella who despite having such a sweet name can be as tough as she wants to be, or a Dylan who is so iconic that you can't imagine naming her any other way.'

That's the why to the conversation we had this afternoon. He was probably dying to talk about them in some way. And because of what he said and what I'm seeing, he's already very fond of the idea of having them in his life. The way he talks and looks at them is something I have never seen in him. His generally perfect intimidating gaze melts completely in front of the siblings, and it's the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

How could someone so noble of heart have gone through everything he did? Being raised to be the greatest assassin of all time, yet still melt and blush when his daughters hold his hand. He is the proof that we are much more than what is planned of us, and that we can all seek our own destiny.

I have no doubts about how he feels about them, but I wonder how he feels about me.

We get to the gym and Hayden, who I think is Daniella, and I sit on a bench, while Damian and who I think is Dylan walk to the center of the mat. How does he recognize them? they are the living portrait of the other.

"Have you decided what weapon to use, princess?" Damian asks her.

"Shocking, even his teenage version melts with these brats." Hayden comments, leaning his head on his sister's shoulder.

"He may not call you princess, but he spoils you like one, brother. I don't know what you're complaining about."

Seeing them together, one leaning on the other, gives me a lot of peace. Daniella is difficult to read, her personality completely reminds me of Damian, but without the anger. She looks calm, even somewhat calculating. I get the impression that she is usually the brains and Dylan and Hayden the sweet talkers.

Dylan's voice interrupts my thoughts. "I want your favorite katana, daddy."

Damian's jaw drops.

"This adorable angel was born to be evil." Hayden laughs softly.

"She's usually a nuisance but she's very perceptive and resourceful. She knows that now Father is going to be more concerned about his katana and having to use another one than in the actual competition." Daniella replies.

"To this day, we still haven't convinced him to let us use it, but he's never made a mistake like this before. He dug his own grave."

After a full 10 minutes of discussion between Damian and Dylan, Dami accepts defeat and hands over his katana, which Dylan seems to wield quite easily.

🗡Damian

My cunning and clever daughter took my favorite katana from me. She is trying to make me uncomfortable, and she is succeeding. But I'd rather have her stab me than to let her know.

If this trio of brats are teaching me something, it is that I should not underestimate them. Dylan has impeccable control of the sword in her hands, her movements are intelligent, confident and exact, and she accompanies them with her whole body, without fear, strong, precise. I'm seeing a side of her that I hadn't had a chance to see, and that I have a feeling I'll see again very soon in the woman sitting on the bench.

As much as I try to immobilize her, she reads my movements almost instantly. It's been a whole 20 minutes and she doesn't look remotely tired, no one wants to twist their arm. I could win easily if I fought someone I don't care about, but there's no way I'm going to hurt my daughter. Something tells me that she is also holding back, and it is clear that this fight is going to be to the one who can endure it longer.

Daniella takes Grayson's sticks from one of the tables and takes both weapons from us with ridiculous ease.

"You already bored me, let's leave it like this. A draw with Damian Wayne sounds good enough to pass.

I will manage with mother."

"Dani, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm a lot better with the katana than you are with your fists, are you sure you can do this?"

"I am." 

Dylan nods and takes my hand for us to go to the bench, while Marinette walks shyly to the center where her spitting image is waiting.

🤺Daniella

I was trained from a very young age to be the perfect warrior. I work very hard every day to counter the natural talents of Dylan and Hayden. There are skills that they have and that no matter how hard I try I can never match, but I always try to compensate in some other way. Seeing Dylan being at the level she's at with the sword without even try it, I force myself to remember my mantra over and over again to keep jealousy from getting the better of me. "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." She couldn't beat dad, but no way am I going to settle for a draw, sorry mom, but I came to win this.

We put on some gloves, probably from my uncles. I know how talented my mother is, but I also pay close attention to details. She has told me a few times about how she was inactive as a superhero during her first two years in Gotham, so she is not at her full potential, which I have in my favor.

I visualize some of Dylan's movements in my head and begin to try to imitate them as strongly and accurately as possible.

Mom instinctively starts to defend herself but doesn't get the strength to attack, until I hit her hard on the chest.

That's when she starts to regain her level and I can clearly see Dylan in her. Another advantage in my favor, I may not know how to fight her, but I know how to fight my twin.

Once I imagine that I am fighting with my sister, it is much easier for me, as she says, 'flow' and the movements are instantly leaving my body.

All the extra hours training with Dad, studying, working hard to keep up with the Wayne name, finally pays off when I defeat the undisputed head of the family by myself.

I help her up and for a second I doubt what to do, but she hugs me with all her might and whispers in my ear.

"Do not doubt what you can achieve with determination, darling. I am very proud to know that I will have a kid like you."

I turn to see Dad, who looks calm even though he knows he has to let us go now.

"In such a short time my vision of what I could hope to have as my future completely changed. I never believed I was worthy of someone like Marinette, not to mention having three children like you. Smart, strong, talented, cunning, and charming. I will look forward to the day when I see you again. Go show our older versions how capable you are and how well we raise you."

Hayden and Dylan are tearing each other up, hugging Mom and Dad. Biggest cry babies in history, only beaten by Richard John Grayson.

"Before we go, a more intimidating name like Hawk or Wolf would be nice."

Mom starts laughing and Dad rolls his eyes at Hayden, trying to hide a smile.

"After your antics I should call you Hugo, luckily you made enough points with today's party."

Hayden smiles. "Spending time with your teenage versions is a gift I never thought I could had, thank you for accepting me and taking care of me, Dad. I know it wasn't easy. Say goodbye to everyone please, I'll make sure to hug Alfred before I go. I love you both so much, oh, and happy birthday mommy."

We hug them one last time and leave them there so that Mom doesn't see the Batcave, we already reveal too much for now.

It is time for us to part ways, lets hope they find their way back to us.