7. Here We Go Again

Start from the beginning

I didn't even bother taking off my clothes. I fell asleep minutes after my head hit the pillow and don't remember what I dreamed about. When I opened my eyes later that evening, the sun had started setting and the bedroom was getting dark. Climbing out of bed, I put on my slippers and made my way downstairs.

Jax and Jacob were sitting at the dining table, both of them typing away on their phones. They didn't even notice that I'd appeared in the doorway. "Ahem," I said. Both of them looked up and Jacob smiled at me.

"Hey, honey. Did you have a good nap?" Jacob asked.

That was the first time he called me "honey" in a long time. I made my way into the kitchen and said, "Yeah, it was fine. What time is it?"

"It's almost seven-thirty," Jax said.

"Where are the kids?" I asked as I walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a packet of tea and started to boil some water in the kettle.

"Echo's upstairs taking a shower," Jacob said. "And I haven't seen Cinder of Kael since I got home. You haven't either, have you, Jax?"

The kid shook his head. "Nope. No one's come home except Echo. Didn't you say Cinder and Kael were out?"

Huh. It was a bit weird to be that they'd be out so late, especially since last time they came home around six. "Yeah, but they should have been home by now. Jacob, can you call Cinder? I left my phone upstairs."

"Sure thing," he said. I watched as he put the phone to his ear and listened for a ring. A second later he said, "It's going straight to voicemail. Want me to try Kael?"

"Please," I said. My stomach started to turn and I tried not to panic, but something inside me was saying that something was wrong. I didn't know what to do. Hopefully Kael would answer his damn phone.

Jason shook his head and said, "No answer from him either. Do you know what they were going to do?"

"They didn't tell me," I said. Suddenly, my hands started to shake and I felt like I was ready to puke. It's okay, Eden. Your kids are fine. They're probably just out having fun and their phones died. There was only one way to find out if I needed to worry.

"Watch my water," I said to Jacob and Jax. I raced out of the room, up the stairs, and into my room. Picking up my phone from off the bedside table, I dialed the number to the only person who could tell me if I needed to be concerned.

She answered on the first ring. "Hello?"

"Rachel," I said. "It's Eden. We need to talk. My kids aren't home. Have you seen Emerald at all this afternoon?"

Rachel was silent on the other end. After a few seconds, she said, "I was actually just getting ready to call you, too. Emerald hasn't been home since this morning. I tried calling her and her phone's going straight to voicemail. You don't think—"

"I do," I said. "That's it. I'm coming over." I hung up the phone, put it in my pocket, and ran downstairs. When I got to the front door, I started slipping on my shoes and Jacob met me in the doorway.

"Eden," Jacob said. "What's going on?"

"I'm taking care of it," I said. "Just stay here with Jax and keep the doors locked. Got it?"

"Are you having an episode?" Jacob asked. "If so, we can get you to the hospital—"

"This isn't an episode!" I screamed. I brushed my hair out of my face and lowered my voice. "Our kids are in danger. Trust me on this. I'm taking care of it."

Before he could argue with me anymore, I threw open the door and ran out toward my car with my soon-to-be ex-husband screaming my name until I was all the way down the road.