"How does it work?" Jane asked. "She's obviously gifted in some regard if she forced your victim to follow her instructions."

"Like we'd ever tell you-"

And suddenly my husband was writhing on the ground in an extreme amount of pain.

"Stop!" I begged, crashing to my knees and gathering him into my arms, but my talent seemed to have no effect on whoever was causing him so much pain. "I can order others to do as I say! Anything! They just do it! Now stop torturing him!" I screamed.

"Felix, keep her quiet. I don't want any prying eyes." Jane instructed him.

I tried to dodge him, but he tripped me up and threw me towards Alec. Alec caught me, restrained my arms, and kept my mouth shut as Felix stalked towards my husband...still thrashing in pain on the wet concrete.

"Edythe? Did you hear me?" Elizabeth asked me gently, startling me back to reality as I sat staring at the rain pelting against the glass wall of windows.

"Um..." I sighed, turning to meet her and Carlisle's anxious expressions, "No, sorry, what happened?"

She frowned at me slightly, her beautiful face marred with worry, "I asked if you wanted to try hunting with Emmett and Jasper today? You don't have to catch anything if you don't feel like it, but it might be good for you to get out the house for a bit."

"We both think being cooped up hasn't been good for you. The rain-"

"Puts me in a mood, I know." I assured Carlisle. "I have good reason." I offered the weak explanation.

"Of course you do, I'm sure." He agreed with me quickly. "Your mother and I just don't want to see you hurting. The boys might be able to help cheer you up. That's all that we're suggesting."

"I don't know." I sighed, hating to put them in such an uncomfortable situation. "I promised Bella I'd give her my journals today. Edward said he'd bring her over this afternoon."

"After school? That's still hours away from now. It's not even noon." Elizabeth remarked. "Please, let the boys take you out today. I know you'll have some fun with them." She encouraged me brightly.

And of course I couldn't say no. Not when her sweet golden eyes looked at me as if I was the most precious thing in her world. How could I ever disappoint those eyes?

So, that's how I found myself trailing after Jasper and Emmett in the pelting rain.

"Keeping up okay, baby sister?" Emmett called over his shoulder several yards ahead of me.

"Oh? I'm fine. Just fantasizing about being in a coma, don't wait on me." I remarked dryly, taking my time slugging through the muddy underbrush.

"Are you gonna be a killjoy too? We already have one of those, his name's Edward." Emmett laughed boisterously before Jasper hit him in the shoulder.

"Don't tease her like that." Jasper ordered him sternly, acting the part of defensive older brother, as we entered a small clearing.

"You two go on. I'll hang out here. I'm still sick from my tube feeding." I shooed them away, climbing up a small collection of boulders to sit on top of a high rock.

"Can't we hang out for a bit?" Emmett asked, sitting a little lower down from me.

"Aren't you thirsty?" I questioned him.