5 HENTY'S FIST 1: GAUNTLET RUN by Andre Jute, Dakota Franklin, Andrew McCoy

HENTY'S FIST 1: GAUNTLET RUN: birth of a superhero by Andre Jute, Dakota Franklin and Andrew McCoy. 60,000 words in 76 chapters.

CHAPTER 5

The easiest paths to take all head into a slough of despond: recession, confusion, apathy.

As far as we can see, it will be very hard to get to the desirable future, called “exuberant democracy” and much easier to get to an authoritative form of state concentration on social control, called “ceasarism.” — Norman MacEachron

“Guilty as charged,” said the foreman of the jury.

The lawyer The Caring Society had appointed for Henty sighed melodramatically for the network vidis. He fancied himself something of a crusader but had a hard time reconciling the ideals he would prefer to defend with his ambitions for political office.

“Before I pass sentence,” the judge asked Henty, “do you have anything to say?”

Henty shook her head. “Let’s get it over with.”

The judge nodded but Henty’s lawyer was on his feet. He waited for all the cameras — the ones from local and network affiliates as well as The Caring Society in the corners of the courtroom - to turn to him before he spoke. “Your Honor. I have stated before that my client is obviously insane and should be given permanently into the keeping of The Caring Society.”

“Oh, sit down and shut up,” Henty told him. “You’re the one with the divided head. I know exactly what I’m doing”

The lawyer waited impatiently for Henty to finish.

The judge said. “Medical opinion tends to agree with the accused, Counsellor. She is sane. She knew what she was doing. She knows what she’s doing now, though you and 1 have so far failed to perceive what’s in her mind.”

Henty nodded. This terrifying old man was a lot smarter than the young lawyer: he knew how to wait.

The lawyer didn’t know when he was beaten. “Your Honor, I will let the record stand there on the subject of my client’s sanity for review by any superior court to which judgment may be appealed.”

The judge raised an eyebrow at Henty. “There will be no appeal,” said Henty firmly.

The lawyer shouted. The judge shouted louder. He also had a gavel. Finally the lawyer shut up. The judge told the stenographer, “Strike the accused’s remark about not appealing. All right. Counsellor, you have more on your mind.”

“Thank you, Your Honor. May I be permitted to enter a plea for mercy?”

“Counsellor, you know as well as I that once the accused is found guilty of social hooliganism, no mitigating circumstances are allowed for in law.”

“All the same, Your Honor, she attempted to rob that bank to raise money to take her dying son to the Arctic Circle for treatment that could save his life, one defenseless…

Henty whirled to face the lawyer. “This is demeaning. Sit down and wait, will you. Please!”

The lawyer subsided reluctantly, arranging his best long suffering profile to the cameras. Among other things, the judge said, “This is a clear cut case of social hooliganism. There was an attack on property, to wit a bank and, what is more, a bank guaranteed by the government and therefore part of The Caring Society. The accused confessed to the crime and that she knew the penalty when she committed the crime. We have seen film of the commission of the crime. None of the facts in this case are contested. The accused has been found guilty of the crime of social hooliganism. The law is clear. No mitigating pleas are permissible and the only admissible defense is that the accused is of unsound mind, in which case the only option is lifetime confinement in one of the sanatoria of The Caring Society. Expert medical opinion has found her sane, so that avenue is not open to us. I shall now deliver the only sentence the law permits. The accused will stand to receive sentence.”

Henty stood. She looked around the courtroom without really listening. She had seen this popular entertainment many times on vidi.

When next she paid attention, the judge wore a black skullcap and was reading from a card the clerk held up for him. “...For which the penalty is death. You shall be taken from here to The Caring Society’s Place of Eternal Life where within three days you will communicate to the Administrator your preference for entering the eternal life by electrocution, lethal injection or downing with your own hand the pill of permanent sleep as atonement for your crime upon and against society.” The judge looked up. “Leave is given to appeal this sentence to the State Supreme Court.”

The lawyer beamed.

The wardress touched Henty’s sleeve. “Come along now.”

MORE SOON! A NEW CHAPTER ALMOST EVERY DAY!  Add GAUNTLET RUN to your Reading List (click “Manage” in the right hand column, then tick “Reading List” and “Done”). 

• MORE ABOUT THE AUTHORS AT: 

Andre Jute http://coolmainpress.com/andrejute.html  Andre’s latest book is DREAMS Book 1 of COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS http://www.amazon.com/DREAMS-COLD-WAR-PASSIONS-ebook/dp/B00A3BSJM2  Dakota Franklin http://coolmainpress.com/Dakota%20Franklin.html  Dakota’s latest book is NASCAR FIRST http://www.amazon.com/NASCAR-FIRST-RUTHLESS-WIN-ebook/dp/B00A72A556  Andrew McCoy http://coolmainpress.com/andrewmccoy.html  Andrew’s latest book is STIEG LARSSON Man, Myth & Mistress http://www.amazon.com/STIEG-LARSSON-Myth-Mistress-ebook/dp/B004GXAZAM 

Copyright © 2012 André Jute, Dakota Franklin, Andrew McCoy. The authors have asserted their moral right. Published by CoolMain Press 2012 www.coolmainpress.com. Editor: Lisa Penington. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or performed by any means without the written permission of the publisher.