26 HENTY'S FIST 1: GAUNTLET RUN by Andre Jute, Dakota Franklin, Andrew McCoy

HENTY'S FIST 1: GAUNTLET RUN: birth of a superhero by Andre Jute, Dakota Franklin and Andrew McCoy. 60,000 words in 76 chapters.

CHAPTER 26

Assemble a mob of men and women previously conditioned (by drugs, propaganda, alienation etc.), treat them to amplified music, bright lights, and the oratory of a demagogue who (as demagogues always are) is simultaneously the exploiter and the victim of herd intoxication, and in next to no time you can reduce them to a state of almost mindless inhumanity. — Aldous Huxley

The man from the Syndicate, the one with the green lizard skin shoes, was called Jimmy Twoshoes. He had been christened James Baldwin Shoosmith by his father, a noted liberal judge, and his mother, who was noted for her charities. They were both still alive and thought he was a wheel in insurance: in a way, he was — he insured that the Syndicate couldn’t lose. Jimmy Twoshoes was indulging in charity now.

The pink supervisor of The Caring Society stood in the passage, transfixed by her awe of this man and his rough looking minions. He took her hand from her side and pressed a slip of paper into it. Her hand closed convulsively.

“I’m all paid up,” she said, her voice rising hysterically.

“Open it,” he ordered.

She opened the slip of paper. “But— but I didn’t take any ten thousand credit bet on that woman Runner. I haven’t got ten thousand credits!”

“Look again,” he said soothingly. “It’s all paid up.”

She looked. “What do you want?” she asked hoarsely. Then she looked at the slip of paper again. Her awe and fear and greed turned to shrill anger. “Look here, this bet is for her to get zapped in Nevada. I know her, she’s marshmallow right through. She’ll never make it to Nevada.”

“She got out of New York and across New Jersey and right now she’s in the air over Pennsylvania.”

“How do you know?...Stupid question. Okay, but she still won’t make it to Nevada.”

“We’re going to give her an inducement. That’s where you come in.”

“Anything I can do to help,” the pink woman said eagerly.

“In which room is her son?”

“Come. I’ll show you.”

MORE SOON! A NEW CHAPTER ALMOST EVERY DAY!  Add GAUNTLET RUN to your Reading List (click “Manage” in the right hand column, then tick “Reading List” and “Done”).

• MORE ABOUT THE AUTHORS AT: 

Andre Jute http://coolmainpress.com/andrejute.html  Andre’s latest book is DREAMS Book 1 of COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS http://www.amazon.com/DREAMS-COLD-WAR-PASSIONS-ebook/dp/B00A3BSJM2  Dakota Franklin http://coolmainpress.com/Dakota%20Franklin.html  Dakota’s latest book is NASCAR FIRST http://www.amazon.com/NASCAR-FIRST-RUTHLESS-WIN-ebook/dp/B00A72A556  Andrew McCoy http://coolmainpress.com/andrewmccoy.html  Andrew’s latest book is STIEG LARSSON Man, Myth & Mistress http://www.amazon.com/STIEG-LARSSON-Myth-Mistress-ebook/dp/B004GXAZAM

Copyright © 2012 André Jute, Dakota Franklin, Andrew McCoy. The authors have asserted their moral right. Published by CoolMain Press 2012 www.coolmainpress.com. Editor: Lisa Penington. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or performed by any means without the written permission of the publisher.