Chapter 49: Buckbeak P2

Hagrid coughs to get everyone's attention. He smiles and turns, putting his arms out wide and singing an announcement 'dun dun dun dunnnnnnn'.

Everyone stares in awe and confusion and amazement, really a mix of all three, at the beautiful feathered beast standing before us.
"Isn't he beautiful" Hagrid says standing next to the majestic creature, tossing it a dead possum to eat.

"Say hello to buckbeak." he announces proudly.
"Hagrid, what is that?" Ron asks with a stammer in his voice. Wimp.

"That Ron is a Hippogriff. First thing you want to know about hippogriffs is that they're very proud creatures, very easily offended. You do not what to insult the hippogriff. It may just be the last thing you ever do. " Hagrid warns everyone carefully.

"Y/N, would you step forward please. Go on go say hi to buckbeak, hes missed ya" Hagrid says kindly. I simply smile before approaching the Hippogriff. I put my head down as a mini bow as I approached it. Without a second thought, buckbeak trots up to me and rubs up against my side like a cat. I giggle as I begin gently petting its head. Turning back to my fellow classmates.

Gosh the look on their faces. Harry seems excited, Hermione proud, Ron very concerned, and Draco, boy, Draco seems impressed. But like he's trying to be mad at me. so he's trying to hide how impressed he is. It's making him look So stupid.

"Y/N has already had the pleasure of introducing herself to buckbeak. Now, who else would like to try say hello?" Hagrid  asks, clapping his hands together before turning around briefly to smile at me. Happy his class seems to be going well.

Simultaneously everyone steps back, leaving Harry standing still in the front. Making it look like Harry stepped forward by the time Hagrid turned around.

"Well done Harry, well done." Hagrid announces as Harry looks around confused. I'm still standing next to Buckbeak, his head floating next to mine as I stroke its face feathers carefully.

Smiling at the confused Harry, I say, "Don't worry Harry, he's friendly as really." I move away from buckbeak's side as he lifts his head again and makes a disappointed skwak. I didn't want to be in the way in case something goes horribly horribly wrong.

"Now, you have to let him make the first move, only reason Y/N here got away with it is she already met'im. It's only polite, so step up, do a nice bow, then you wait and see if he bows back, and if he does, you can go and touch em. If not, well get to that later." Hagrid explains as Harry walks forward custously.

Harry stops carefully and slowly bows in front of the incredible winged creature.
At first buckbeak seems sceptical, letting out a couple odd squawks, even flapping his wings a little. Hagrid starts to warn Harry to back off, as Harry does so he stands on a twig making a crunch. I notice Hermione grab Ron's sleeve in worry for our friend. I take a sharp breath in, half wondering if I should intervene.

Harry remains still, looking up at Buckbeak only a little, Buckbeak slowly bows back at Harry to show a mutual respect between the two.
"Well done harry, well done." Hagrid says tossing another possum at the hippogriff for it to eat quickly.
Harry stands up, breathing heavy sighs of relief.

"That went really well Harry. Go on, you can pet him now." I say smiling proudly at the chosen one. Hagrid nods at Harry to let him know he can do that.

As Harry approaches the hippogriff I notice Draco and his 'friends' shove some other kids aside so they are now standing in the front of the group. Dracos obnoxiously eating a green apple, one of the ones I brought him from the kitchen the other day. He raises his eyebrows at me as though trying to win me over again. My gosh he is jealous isn't he. Jealous of Harry and I being friends. I bet that is exactly what it is.