Chapter 46 - When It Rains, It Pours

"All right. You take care of yourself, honey. I call you every hour. I love you." Finally, Andrea kissed Ludwina and went to the office.

Ludwina felt sad and happy. She was pleased because she thought she was pregnant but sad at the same time. After all, it turned out that, just as she had feared, the pregnancy was so bad. Her body was aching, weak, and she was constantly nauseous. She could not imagine living like this for nearly nine months.

After feeling somewhat better, she immediately headed to Raffles Hospital and asked to meet the best gynecologist in Singapore. Doctor Lim examined her and asked many questions that Ludwina thought were irrelevant. She was then asked to have blood tests and a series of medical tests that took her hours.

Ludwina did not think that just checking if she was pregnant could be so complicated.

"It's not that, Madame. You are not pregnant. I can immediately see from the results of the ultrasound earlier," Doctor Lim explained. "However, considering there are various other symptoms that are difficult to explain without a complete test, I do not recommend that you try to get pregnant now."

"..."

"We should wait for the test results, and later we can discuss the best way for you to conceive."

BADUMP

Ludwina's heart sank when she heard the doctor's verdict that she was not pregnant.

Ahh... somehow she was disappointed. She already thought there was a fetus in her womb. She was wrong.

She never thought the fact that she wasn't pregnant could make her so sad. She was already hopeful. Luckily she didn't say anything to Andrea. Her husband must be disappointed to hear this news if he, too, had already had high hopes like her.

"Oh, all right, Doctor. So I should postpone conceiving until my results come out?"

"That's for the best. You can come here in two days, and we'll discuss it."

"Very well, Doctor. Thank you ...."

Ludwina came home sadly. When she got home she sat contemplating on their balcony, trying to read a book to distract herself, but after hours she didn't move from page 3.

When Andrea came home and found her sad-faced, the man knew what had happened. He could guess that Ludwina had seen a gynecologist and was declared not pregnant. 

He knew that Ludwina felt very sad, so he did not ask questions and only rubbed his wife's hair affectionately.

'Making Ludwina happy again is more important than having children,' he thought. 

Later, they could try again.

"Honey, it's a public holiday tomorrow. I don't need to work. Tonight, do you want to drink wine while watching Netflix with me? We can stay up late ..." he coaxed her. "We look like we both need a drink."

He took out one of the most expensive bottles of wine in their cabinet and held it up to Ludwina, whose face turned brighter.

Yes, since Ludwina was not pregnant, they could go back to drinking wine together. Over the past few weeks, Ludwina had always been looking for an excuse not to drink wine because she thought that she was pregnant.

Wine and the interesting movies they watched on the couch while cuddling improved  Ludwina's mood, and Andrea was delighted to see his wife laughing again as they watched the funny scenes in the comedy films.

As usual, Andrea drank only two glasses, while Ludwina finished the rest. Before midnight, Ludwina had fallen asleep in front of the TV, and Andrea had to carry her into their room.