Chapter 2

The next morning, Leanne was finishing cleaning the kitchen. She had taken the day off as her kids were at school and Dean was working so it left her alone for a while. Her two guests did not show up this morning for breakfast so she had a little time to figure out what to do. Everything was very sudden and Leanne has been on a high ever since. She walked to the guest room and knocked and entered once she heard a small voice asking her to come in. Inside, Sarah was lying on the bed and Sunny was using her as a back support. They both stared at me in curiosity and a little of fear. Trust was something all of them would have to learn together if they were to live together; they only had to be patient.

Leanne took a seat on the side chair. There was an awkward silence in the room as they looked at each other, wondering who was going to break the ice first.

“Did you sleep well?”  Leanne asked the girls.

“Yes Mrs. Murray” Sunny replied.

“Call me Leanne, I feel old otherwise. So…” Leanne dragged “you girls missed breakfast”

“We don’t expect you to treat us like were guests. We will get the rules and we are going to buy breakfast in town” Sarah said.

“You are our guests and you are always welcome to breakfast with us. No, scratch that, you are obligated to eat breakfast with us at the table. And diner, you could use the social confrontation” Leanne took out a few sheets of paper and handed them to Sarah “These are the regulations you are bound to follow when you live under this roof.” Sarah straightened herself and looked at the papers and Sunny leaned over her shoulder to see.

 “There will be: no fighting (which includes verbal), no thieving, no breaking anything, no graffiti.” Sarah laughed at the ridicule of the rules.

“Since the government obligates it, you have to go to school. I have an appointment with the principal this evening. Also, your curfew is eight o’clock but you are expected to come  home straight home from school.” Leanne explained.

“Can I have a job? So I can make some money of my own” Sarah asked.

“Sure, we can do that today. I know there is an opening for a waitress at the golf course restaurant. Also, you are obligated to do house work when it is needed.” Sarah scoffed “My children do house work too Sarah. This is not a democracy Sarah, this is anarchy.

“And who’s in charge, your husband?”

Leanne laughed “Hell no. I am. And as ruler of this house, you do wise not to be on my bad side.”

Leanne stood up and walked to the bed to sit beside the girls. “I hope you understand this is simply a precaution because we do not know each other very well. But I hope to change that”

“You’re very nice Mrs. Murray and trust me, these are not the worst rules we had to follow” Sunny smiled. “Do not worry about us breaking them Mrs. Murray”

“It’s not you I’m worried about sweetheart”

Sunny lost her smile and frowned. Beside her Sarah was grinning. That was about the first smart decision Leanne has made so far. “Sarah will follow the rules that are worth following Mrs. Murray”

“Forgive me if I have offended you Sunny but I do hope you understand my concern”

“You shouldn’t always believe what others tell you. The files don’t explain my one-san’s actions or the good things she’s done. Do not base your assumptions on rumors Mrs. Murray”

“Jeez Sunny, relax. Protective much” Sarah teased but Sunny just glared at her. Sarah raised her hands, still smiling. “Everything is going to be fine, trust me” The girls shared a look. It seemed they were in a conversation without even speaking. Leanne was curious about what was going into their heads at that moment.