Chapter 14

It had been five consecutive days since Sarah had dragged Vivian to the St-Laurence. Today was a Friday and the village party happened to be the next day. Sarah was sweating in fear every time she thought about it. It had also been five consecutive days that Vivian was true to her word and left Sarah alone but, as always, the peace must always been broken.

Sarah removed her fingers from inside her locker just in time for the door to be slammed shut.

"You're not doing anything tonight" Vivian's irritating voice said in a matter of fact. Her hand was blocking Sarah from going into her locker and most of her vision.

"And here I thought we were just getting along" Sarah said sarcastically. Vivian faked a smile and lost it just as it had formed.

"Like I said, you're coming with me tonight"

"First, I would have to talk to Leanne about it which I doubt she'll accept. And second-no fucking way" Sarah said as she started to walk away but Vivian wouldn't have it. She went around the other girl and blocked her path with her arm again.

"I already talk to Leanne. She said it was no problem"

"You what?" Sarah screamed.

"The thing is, my aunt gave me two tickets to the theater but I have no one to go with. I figured that you owed me after you forced me to jump in an ice river"

"Forget it, I'm busy" Sarah ducked under Vivian's arm and made her way to her classroom.

"There's free food and drinks" Vivian said without facing her. Sarah turned around and started to walk backwards.

"Pick me up after school"

Vivian raised her thumb in acknowledgement already knowing what Sarah would say.

"Wear something formal" she screamed and walked the opposite direction.

"Formal, formal" Sarah ranted to herself "Why do rich people always half to wear formal crap. It's never comfortable"

-

That night, Sarah tried on some dresses Carly had. Carly was a little smaller than Sarah but the latter could fit in them. Carly, Leanne and Sunny were all sitting in Carly's room, watching Sarah try out different outfits. Sarah wanted to go in a pair of jeans and blouse but Leanne would have none of it.

"How can you not know what theatre you're going to?" Carly said.

"What difference does it make? Theatre is theatre right?" Sarah asked. She was starting to hate dressing up. She couldn't understand how this community could afford to do it all the time.

"It makes all the difference in world Sarah. There are different kinds of theatre and each one must have the proper attire" Leanne explained.

"How does this work?" Sarah said for the third time. She was wearing a plain black dress that covered her body very well. It was simple and lovely with simple black sandals. To her, it was as formal as she could get, but to the Murray's it looked casual.

"It's fine" Leanne said, not to surely.

"It's not fine" Carly responded but after a glare from her mother she retorted "but you'll manage"

"Onee-san, you look beautiful" Sunny cheered. She clearly did not understand the concept of dressing up like a rich person. But no matter, Sunny had never seen her sister in a dress before and she looked astonishing to her sister's eyes.

The bell rang both Carly and Sunny giggled and raced to the door. Sarah rolled her eyes at their enthusiasm and Leanne led her downstairs with an arm wrapped around her shoulders. They arrived to see Vivian waiting for them. Even though Vivian had a trench coat on, she was beautiful. Her hair had been fixed into a crown with small flowers here and there. Her silver jewelleries were few but sharp enough to not miss them. She had long slender earrings that almost touched her shoulders and a beautiful silver pendant that fell to her breasts. Her make-up made her ice blue eyes come out to the point where it seemed she could see through a person. Sarah could see the snowflake design in her eyes from where she was standing.