Chapter 18

Monday couldn't come sooner for Sarah. She was quite desperate to leave the house to the point where even school looked like a good idea to be. After her breakdown, Sarah kept to herself, never leaving her room except to go to the bathroom. Sunny was the only one who could make her eat as Sarah's anxiety had reached a high point. The young Japanese girl was in and out of the room, making sure that her sister was alright while keeping herself busy. She knew that there was nothing more she could do for Sarah and managed to get Leanne to back off. Leanne meant well, but sometimes her presence was too overwhelming for both girls because they had always been alone. No one ever bothered to look after them and now that there were, it was hard to let them in. Leanne on the other hand, knew quite well what was going on as she had witnessed it often at the hospital.

As it turned out, school was exactly where Sarah was supposed to be. It happened in her early English class with Mrs. Carlos, the teacher that gave her and Vivian detention. Mrs. Carlos was giving a new assignment which would be performed in teams. The entire class groaned when the teacher said that she was going to choose who they would be spending their evenings with for the next two weeks. She started listing the names two at a time.

"Now, I don't want any fuss" Mrs Carlos said aloud " but Sarah, since you are behind I have to put you with Vivian"

The class grew quiet as both girls gaped at the teacher. A smile began to form on Sarah's lips as she tried to unsuccessfully hide it and Vivian could not contain herself either.Both girls suddenly burst into a fit of laughter. They laughed and laughed to the point where Vivian had tears in her eyes and Sarah's stomach hurt. Everyone stayed silent as they weren't sure how to react but Mrs. Carlos looked offended.

Sarah felt good to laugh. It had been a long time since she had and it seemed that Vivian had not either. The class looked at them as if they were aliens but they did not care; this must have been the dumbest decision the teacher had ever given them.

"No fucking way" Sarah said between breaths and Vivian laughed even more. When they finally calmed down both girls looked at the teacher as if she was the funniest person around although Mrs. Carlos seemed quite annoyed.

"No offense Mrs. Carlos" Vivian said with a giggle "but there is no way we will be working together"

"I agree" Sarah said pointedly behind her. The whole time, neither of them looked at each other as Sarah was sitting in the back and Vivian the front. "Unless you want to be an accessory to murder"

"I don't care if you kill each other Ms. Green. I care that your grades are not high enough for you to pass my class and Vivian is one of our top students here. You will work together and that's final. Also, I am tired of your on going war. I hope this project will help the both of you grow out of it"

The bell rang and both girls groaned in union. Sarah walked out of the class as Vivian tried one more time to change the teacher's decision. What the teacher didn't know was that the girls had been at odds since that morning.

-

Lunch had finally arrived and Sarah was sitting at a table with her friends. Her friends being Nim and Carly and all of Carly's friends which Sarah couldn't bother to speak to. She liked Gabe though, Carly's new crush. He was a quiet type of guy and never asked many questions. He and Carly were getting closer by the day and everyone could see it but after Carly's big break up with her ex, her emotions were still raw and vulnerable.

On the other hand, Carly's other friends Matt and Hanna were too noisy and too happy. They always asked questions, much to Carly's dismay. They joked a lot and tried to get Sarah into their conversations which usually finished at a dead end.