Part one: The Negotiator

Aug 15th, 2038

"Negotiator on site. Repeat, negotiator on site."

I took a steadying breath and fixed my rain jacket. This was my first ever android case; I couldn't screw this up. A little girl's life was at stake. I went into american law because I wanted to do some good in this world. I wanted to leave america better than I found it. I wasn't changing the world by any means but I was certainly doing my best. 

Men and women had gone out to try and convince the deviant to let the girl go and hadn't come back. I didn't understand the point of adding another body to the pile on the deck but I suppose it was worth a shot. 

I waited by the kitchen which faces the deck. I had a relatively clear view of the deviant without being in it's line of fire. My task was to look and listen. I needed to know about deviants in order to investigate them and what better way to learn than going head first into the madness?

The officers whispered to themselves as they waited for the negotiator to make their way outside. If the negotiator survived, I would want to interview them. Maybe get inside their head so future cases could run smoother. 

I watched as a tall, brunette man walked to the white curtain walls. I noticed the LED on the side of his head right away. Smart on CyberLife's part. Send a machine to reach another machine. It just made sense. Although, I wondered how I would interview an android. I'd never been afraid of the technology but it made me uncomfortable. Androids look so human yet they're anything but. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I get a rush from doing things out of my comfort zone, anyways. I'm addicted to adrenaline. 

The android stepped outside and almost immediately I heard a gun go off. I watched as the android took a step back from the impact but continued on like nothing was wrong. As if he wasn't bleeding from the wound.

"Stay back," the deviant backed closer to the edge, "don't come any closer or I'll jump."

The android was silent for a second as he looked around the scene. "Hi, Daniel. My name is Connor."

"How do you know my name?"

"I know a lot of things about you," the android took a cautious step forward, "I've come to get you out of this."

A helicopter zoom overhead. The wind for the choppers caused multiple reclining chairs on the deck to fly off the edge. Connor continued to slowly walk towards the deviant. 

"I'm an android, just like you. I know how you're feeling-"

"What difference does it make if you're an android?" Daniel pointed the barrel of the gun accusingly at Connor, "you're on their side! You can't understand how I'm feeling," the negotiator approached one of the bodies on the deck: a dark male with a gunshot wound. "Are you armed?"

"Yes. I have a gun."

"Drop it," the deviant shook his head, still holding the young girl, "no sudden moves, or I'll shoot."

Keeping eye contact with Daniel, Connor reached for his gun and threw it opposite of the body. "There, no more gun." The leaves spun in circles with the aggressive winds as Connor looked back down at the officer. "They were going to replace you and you became upset," the android looked back at the deviant, "that's what happened, right?"

Daniel's voice softened. "I thought I was part of the family. I thought I mattered..." his voice trailed off but he quickly bounced back and pointed his gun at the girl's head, "but I was just their toy, something to throw away when you're done with it."

The android didn't say anything and instead knelt beside the body and scanned it with his eyes. He lifted his head to look back at Daniel. "He's losing blood," Connor insisted, "if we don't get him to a hospital, he's going to die."

"All humans die eventually. What does it matter if this one dies now?"

"I'm going to apply a tourniquet." Connor focused back on the man; turning the officer more on his back. A bullet fired next to Connor's arm bringing his attention back towards the deviant.

"Don't touch him! Touch him and I kill you."

The negotiator tugged gently on his tie, "you can't kill me. I'm not alive." And with that, Connor began fiddling with the bullet wound on the officer. I could tell his actions worried the deviant. I noted the panic in his body language but continued watching Connor. The android was finished in less than thirty seconds. Connor stood up and took a step back from the body. Showing Daniel his empty hands; he resumed talking about the reason the deviant was upset. "I know you and Emma were very close. You think she betrayed you - but she's done nothing wrong."

"She lied to me!" Daniel's voice cracked as he relaxed his grip on the gun. "I thought she loved me. But I was wrong," the anger returned to his voice, "she's just like all the other humans."

"Listen, I know it's not your fault," Daniel eyed Connor, "these emotions you're feeling are just errors in your software."

"No, it's not my fault. I never wanted this," the deviant lowered his gun, realisation spreading across his facial features, "I loved them, you know?" Again the deviant raised his gun, "but I was nothing to them. Just a slave to be ordered around," a helicopter hovered above, "I can't stand that noise anymore," Daniel motioned his gun at Connor, "tell that helicopter to get out of here."

Connor lifted his head to look at the helicopter; making a movement with his hand to singal everything was okay. I watched the helicopter fly away. "There, I did what you wanted," Connor took a small step forward, "you have to trust me, Daniel. Let the hostage go and I promise you everything will be fine."

"I want everyone to leave," the deviant breathed heavily, "and I want a car. When I'm outside the city, I'll let her go."

"That's impossible, Daniel. Let the girl go and I promise you won't be hurt."

"I don't wanna die."

"You're not going to die," Connor urged, "we're just going to talk. Nothing will happen to you. You have my word," gentally, he took another step toward the deviant who was looking around warily.

Finally, Daniel nodded. "Okay," he relaxed his shoulders, "I trust you." The deviant let go of the girl and I watched her run the moment her feet hit the ground. What do you know, the android succeeded.

It was tense for a minute as the deviant looked at Connor, who nodded his head slightly. I heard guns fire and watched Daniel crumble to his knees. He looked at Connor helplessly. 

"You lied to me, Connor," the android didn't move as the deviant's voice started cutting out, "you lied to me."

Shock at Connor's coldness rushed through my body; giving me chills. I watched as the android looked at the girl before turning around to walk back. He gave the deviant one last look before leaving the deck. 

Officers rushed to the girl and the wounded man but I wasn't watching the action outside. I stared into the eyes of the emotionless negotiator. Connor. He looked human; he sounded human. And it terrified me more than ever now. There was something sinister about watching someone die and not feeling anything. Guess I should have expected that from a machine.

I waited a while to process everything before I left. In the end, I decided not to interview the android. I got enough information observing everything anyways. I stood inside the elevator watching the numbers tik down one by one. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket so I took it out to read the message. 

Jeffrey Fowler:

Your first real case on deviants starts tomorrow. Don't let me down, Y/N.