Chapter 7: Training

Start from the beginning

Setting down his briefcase, he pulls out the chair and looks directly at me. He has long gray hair that's pulled back in a ponytail. This guy is wearing jeans and a t-shirt that reads Motörhead.

I kind of wish all my teachers looked this way back in the day.

"Gerry, you are a grown man, and we are not really in your classroom. This is how we ease you into the afterlife. My name is Jethro and I'll be your advisor." He explains.

Did I say that out loud?

"Oh, alright then, where are we really, Jethro? I'm I in heaven or hell?" I ask, and then lean back in my chair.

All the desks in front of me disappear and now I'm in the first row. He is suddenly standing in front of me and says, "That is to be determined."

Shit... Oh, I mean shoot.

Returning to his desk again, he explains, "You can swear in the afterlife, but it's not recommended. Yes, Mr. Kastor, you are dead, but it was not your time. You owe us several years of your life sentence. When you killed yourself, you basically stole time, and this is your penalty. Those lost years, you must now repay. Life is a gift, and you squandered it, Gerry. Now you work for us."

I start to say, "So if I died of natural causes..."

"You would live out your every fantasy. Yes, it's great in heaven, but you have quite a way to go." Jethro states.

This is crazy.

"Yes, this is the afterlife, and it is not normal to you yet, but in time you'll adjust." He states.

This guy looks familiar to me, but I don't think I know him.

Jethro then says, "Nope, I have never met you before, but as I said, I'm your advisor. We tend to take the form of someone that will keep you relaxed."

I start to say, "So you can..."

"Yes, I can hear your thoughts." Jethro answers.

He then adds, "You have seen the movies, correct? It's a Wonderful Life and so on? It's like that, kind of."

"Do I need to earn my wings?" I ask, and he stares at me.

Jethro then asks, "Why does everyone ask that question?"

I reply, "Well, in that movie..."

"Okay, I get it, but no, you must repay the time that you should have had. There are no wings, and you are not an angel. Gerry, you are a new Sentinel and while doing this job you must deal with people. Help them with their problems and push them in the right direction." He explains.

Glaring at him, I ask, "Well, where was my guy? My Sentinel? Was he slacking throughout my entire life? No one was helping me."

"Gerry, your sentinel did the best she could, but you fought her every step of the way. Seriously, did you not hear that little voice inside of you? Honestly, it was hard to watch." Jethro says while shaking his head.

I ask, "Who was..."

"Nope. You will find all of this out once you repay what is owed. Alright, now it's time to learn about the wall." He says to me.

Holding up the chalk, Jethro writes letters on the chalkboard, W... H... A... L... L...

"Watch, Help, Assess, Listen, and Learn. This is your new assignment and it may not happen in this order." He states, and I just stare at this guy.

He adds, "While with your ward, you will watch what they are up to. Help as best you can to sway them onto the right path. Assist them with certain things, without breaking our laws. Also, you will listen to them and help your ward learn from their mistakes."