The Pinata

Floriana lifted the blindfold, revealing her friends' shocked expressions and the cake she'd just ruined. The Pinata dangled in the air above her, practically untouched.

She was just a little bit flustered.

"Did I do that?"

Diana sighed, facepalming yet again. 

Father Alvadeo, just coming from his ill-fated attempt to paint the dormitories, put a hand on Floriana's shoulder.

"You will be cleaning this up."

Floriana's face fell.

"I know."

The other sisters began wiping up the pieces of cake that had flown everywhere, except for Pacifica who was still busy eating a donut. At this rate, not everyone would get one, but they didn't really care. Pacifica digging into the snacks was just how things worked.

What was more troubling to them was that Sancho the frog was licking up some of the crumbs.

"I really should've thought this through," said Flori, dabbing up frosting with napkins. 

"Well to be fair, we really should've thought to put the pinata away from the table," Eula replied.

"We're really sorry Flori!" said Marisol.

Floriana gave her a smile.

"I know. It's okay."

"Is it though?"

"I mean, we can still eat what's left of the cake! And we still have the pinata! Once we're done here, we can salvage this party."

Eulalia smiled, giving Flori a side-hug. This was why they were so close!

The cake was, essentially, sliced in half in a very messy way. Floriana took a knife and divided the smashed parts between the two halves, and then started cutting slices. Pacifica, despite having eaten three donuts, quickly wolfed down her slice.

Diana and Emmie settled for a donut apiece, having no taste for frosting, and they all sat around together under the tree eating.

"Well, after that little hiccup, what's next?" asked Emmie.

"Anyone have a deck of cards?" asked Floriana.

Pacifica did, so she ran to go get it. The sugar offered her a considerable speed boost.

They spent the day lounging around and playing games right up until the sun set. Cards, chess, party games, dares, and other things. They were truly blessed.

Finally, Floriana decided it was time to take another swing at the Pinata. They made sure she was far from any obstacles, blindfolded her, spun her three times, and set her forward.

Floriana swung like crazy. All of her friends stood well back. After several swings, it broke open depositing the caramels and mints it held. It was the most affordable type of candy they could find, considering how low sugar rations were.

They divided it up as the sun was setting, each sister heading back to her room. Eulalia and Floriana walked together back to their little cottage, pausing outside to watch the sun dip below the horizon. Elsewhere, other nuns were lighting lanterns and candles to ward off the darkness.

"So. How's it feel being 18?" said Eulalia.

"It feels like I had a wonderful day," said Floriana, "but other than that, nothing really. I thought I'd become more like Diana or Emmie in a way. More mature and sophisticated, but not so mean and grumpy. But then I smashed my cake today, and there was that whole thing with Father Alvadeo and the paint..."

"That wasn't your fault! I mean, not entirely."

"Does being 18 really mean anything? When I think about it, this isn't even my actual birthday. It's just the 18th year since I was left on the monastery's steps. Does that matter?"

"You know what? No. I don't think it does."

"Really?" said Floriana. That was not the answer she had been expecting.

"People don't stop growing and changing. If we did, how could anyone go to heaven? No one can ever be perfect enough for God. What matters is that we're always trying to get better."

"True," Flori admitted.

"Older, smarter, more mature... they all mean different things. Turning 18 can mean whatever you want it to mean. We never stop trying to live like Christ. If you want to spend more time in the library with old Sister Diana, reading Aquinas or whatever, be my guest. But for now, I'd like it if we kept getting to do fun things together! I love you, Floriana. I don't want you to change."

"I love you too!"

Floriana hugged her, feeling tears in her eyes.

"I'll never leave you. Never."

"I know," Eula said. 

"Not even when I'm 88!"

"I know."

They stayed like that for a while.

"Um, can you get off me now?"

"Okay."

Floriana released her, and Eulalia gasped for air.

"You give... really tight hugs. How have I not noticed that before?"

Flori smiled. 

"Getting older means I'm bigger and stronger! Maybe I'll spend more time running and lifting weights, like Father Alvadeo..."

And they headed inside to their cottage, as the sun disappeared completely.