Chapter 11 -- Jumping And Waving

26. September 2020

***

"Ah, Ciara! I've been looking for you. Would you have a minute? I have to show you something" Lewis told.

"Yeah, sure" I shrugged and turned to follow him.

He only stopped when he got to an old wooden building. It had few broken windows and a huge clock hanging over the entrance. It had probably stopped working ages ago, since it was surrounded by few overgrown vines.

"This is the Pelican Town's Community Center" He sighed. "Or at least was"

"It used to be the pride and joy of the town... always bustling with activity" He smiled. Seemed to be completely in his own bubble for a while. Thinking back everything he had done in there.

"Now, look at it" He grunted, watching everything from the broken stairs to fallen roof.

"Well.." I tried to think of something positive. "I bet it was glorious when it was still.. together"

"Joja Corporation has been hounding me to sell them the land so they can turn it into a warehouse..." He murmured. Apparently he didn't like much of that idea..

The town would probably use the money for something good, but. Nah. I'm not the one to decide.

"if anyone else buys a Joja Co. Membership I'm just gonna go ahead and sell it" He blurted out. "There, I said it"

He took out a huge stack of keys and tried to search for something. After a while he finally found it and went to open the building's doors.

The key looked really old. It's real colour was hard to see under all the rust that had been spreading over it over time.

He had to take the key few times out of the lock and try again before he succeeded and got the door open. 

If I had thought that the build was completely fallen from the outside, I could say that the inside was twice as bad. Even worse.

The floor had been decorated with at least decent amount of holes that were so huge I could've easily fitted  to lay in each of them without touching any of the floor planks. Not that I'd do that, they were already filled in with wild bushes and wines.

"Hmm? What's this?" He mumbled, walking towards a human-sized tent looking thing. Except it was made out of stone bricks and it had a roof made out of leaves.

"Vincent and Jas could've been playing in here" I shrugged, but then started to question my answer. How could two little kids carried heavy stone pieces all by themselves, and even make a tent out of them?

"This place is even more dilapidated than I remembered" He murmured.

Suddenly, out of nowhere a small green creature appeared just by a huge old fireplace. The creature started jumping and waving with it's tiny black hands. Am I dreaming, or am I just crazy?

"What? Why do you look like that?" Lewis asked, turning to face the direction I was looking. But by the time his gaze landed on the creature, it was already gone.

"I could've swore I saw something" I mumbled, trying to find it.

"Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised at all if this place was full of rats" Lewis admitted. Yeah, sure. Maybe I didn't listen in Biology at school and that way nearly failed the whole class, but I'm sure rats aren't round and gre- Wait

It was there again. Jumping and waving. I can't imagine this, can I?

"Look, it's right there!" I pointed, but like earlier when Lewis turned, it disappeared.

"You're worrying me, Ciara..." Lewis muttered.

Oh how wonderful. Now he thinks I'm insane. But, maybe I am? At least it's not supposed to be normal to see small green creatures, is it?

"Look, I think I'm going to head home. I need some lunch" He began, slowly shifting towards the entrance."I'll keep this place unlocked from now on... maybe you can help by catching that rat if you have some extra time"

He left after that rather quickly, maybe too quickly. 

He nearly ran out.

Well, now that I'm alone. I could maybe use some time exploring this place. The main hall leaded to two separate hallways, on right was a dark basement and an old office. On left was a small pantry, empty kitchen and a big empty room.

Well it wasn't completely empty. There was a golden scroll laying on the purple floor. It had some kind writing on ti. It wasn't recognizable, but it was clear enough to separate it from a drawing.

If I somehow - which will probably be impossible - manage to turn this into English, will it tell me what the green jumping creature was? Or at least why it even is here?

***