"I agree," Dr. Reed said. "You'll stay here."

"And so will I," Virgil swore.

Lucy nodded, her resolve steely. "I will need a few items from the manor. And I should let them know of our plans. It is inconsiderate to make them worry."

"There is less than two hours' time before the sun rises," Virgil said. "If you wish to go to the manor, we should go now."

"We?" Lucy repeated.

"Yes, we," Dr. Reed stated. "Virgil and I are not leaving your side."

Lucy's eyes stung with the renewed threat of tears. This time, however, tears inspired by the kindness of others, rather than her own misdeeds.

She reached out and grasped Dr. Reed's hand.

"Thank you," she murmured. "Thank you both."

~ ~ ~

It was an hour before dawn when Lucy led Dr. Reed and Virgil through the large front doors of Wilhern Manor.

Brushing a finger across her lips, she tip-toed up the grand staircase, motioning for them to follow her.

On the third floor, she opened the door to her bedroom, and ushered the men inside.

"My goodness, Lucy!" Virgil exclaimed in hushed tones. "Two men in your boudoir this time! You'll cause a scandal!"

With dramatic flair fit for West End, Virgil put a hand to his chest.

Lucy scoffed, pulling a few articles of clothing from her wardrobe. His teasing was beyond the pale. "Yes, yes. Welcome back."

Dr. Reed bristled and rounded on the grinning dhampir. "This time?" he repeated. "Welcome back?"

Virgil chuckled. "Oh, don't be jealous, Thomas. Green isn't your color."

"There is nothing to be jealous of," Lucy informed the doctor. "The only thing Virgil received from me was a sound scolding. And I'll thank you both to keep your voices down. I will need to speak with Sir Wilhern before we leave, but I'd rather not cause a disturbance."

Her ears caught the creak of floorboards, and she realized it may be too late.

She heard the sound of a door opening and closing in the hallway. She smelled incense and cinnamon.

"Lucy, dear," came Evelyne's voice. "What is that sudden racket? Are you al..?"

Evelyne trailed off as she appeared in Lucy's open doorway, wearing only a long, translucent silk robe over her lacy negligee. Her sleepy gaze came to rest on Virgil.

"Virgil!" she exclaimed, surprised and delighted.

"Evelyne," Virgil purred. His eyes took a slow tour of her figure. "You look positively fetching in your...gown."

Dr. Reed glanced at Lucy. "The witch?" he asked.

"Yes," Lucy replied. "Evelyne Ives."

Evelyne continued to stare only at Virgil, an elated and coquettish smile on her face. "You came back!"

"Wild wolves could not keep me away," he told her.

"You don't say," she remarked with a coy smirk. "But you're in the wrong place. My bedroom is down the hall."

Virgil approached Evelyne, taking her hand in his, and branding her dainty row of knuckles with a heated kiss.

"I wish I could say that I was here only for the pleasure of seeing you," he said, "but in truth, my visit is due to a far less festive occasion. We must make haste. Lucy must leave."