Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Pops, I'm here ready to train."

"Come here and sit-down son. Close the door." Ricky says.

Doing as his father asked, Adonis shut the door and sat in one of the chairs.

"Is there something you got to tell me?" Ricky asked. The tone of his voice meant business.

Adonis figured that he probably heard about the fight with Brayden, "The match with Brayden Clinton?"

"I'm not talking about the match with the Clinton's. I'm talking about what I saw on those security cameras. You can't hide shit from me, Adonis." Ricky tells him.

Ricky had rarely ever checked the camera's, so Adonis was not expecting him to check them this time. There was no hiding anymore. If his father found out the exact reason X paid the visit, he would too force Adonis to stop seeing Ember.

"What was X doing here?" Ricky went on to ask.

Not being able to think of a quick lie, Adonis had no other choice but to tell the truth, "X stopped by because he wanted to talk."

"About what? He's not supposed to be anywhere near my place of business with his drama."

"It's kind of my fault. He doesn't want me seeing Ember anymore."

Ricky sighed, "Then that's what you do. You cannot be putting yourself in danger for some girl. You got your whole life ahead of you."

Adonis remained quiet, not knowing how to respond to that. He was right, it was dangerous to see her, especially after her father had threatened him to stay away. Although the threat was not an empty one, Adonis was not the least bit afraid of X.

"Aight, I'll stop seeing her." Adonis tells his father.

Ricky studied him to see if he had been serious about his words. Deep down, he did not believe him, "It's best. How are those ribs healing? Don't act like I didn't notice your movement around the house."

"They don't hurt so bad no more. I can move around better than I could before."

"Enough to get in the ring with Clinton?"

Adonis nodded, "Yeah. I know you're going to train me well."

Ricky chuckled, "Before you get in that match, you got to study his movement with other fighters in the ring. How fast he moves, where he likes to stand. Does he get his knockouts on the ropes, in the middle of the ring? What part of the body he aims for? The ribs? The head? The chest? The stomach?"

Adonis listened to his father as he spoke. He has heard of the Clinton's being the dirtiest fighters in history. They had never lost, and Adonis may have been confident about getting in that ring, however, he could not lie and say that he was not worried.

He did not want to let Trevor down.

~

Leaning against the counter, Ember drank her coke, watching people skate across the floor. Her shift was longer than usual since she had pulled a double. X was home, and she hated to be in his presence. He was always up to something sneaky. Ember only talked to him because she wanted to help her uncle Ezra. It may have looked wrong in some people's eyes that she wanted to help him, but knowing the full story really changed her views on the situation. She still did not agree that he was seeing an underaged girl, however he did not deserve to be spending life in prison for a crime he did not commit.

Paisley had led him into thinking that she was of age, being Ezra, he entertained her. He was never one to turn down an attractive woman and Paisley was very gorgeous.