Chapter 4

The anticipated day was finally here. The day that will determine which turn her life would take. The day she would get to know what fate has in store for her, and the day whether or not she would receive her admission letter.

During their chat with Maryam yesterday, she assured her that the scholarship was being processed at UNIABUJA (University of Abuja) because her father wants them to go to the same institution. But whether or not she would surely be admitted she didn't know just like Humaira herself. The duo could only hope and pray for the next day to bring along joy and blessings which was today.

Humaira has been a bundle of nerves since she woke up as early as 9:00am, had her bathe and dressed up. It might not sound really early but to someone who usually wakes up at 11:00am or so, it was indeed really early.

She kept pacing to and fro in her room nervously, speculating whether Maryam will bring along the anticipated good news untill she started thinking negatively about what would happen if she doesn't get the scholarship. Will she then be forced to get married to Kabir in 3 weeks time as per Goggo jidde's wishes? Is that how Ya Nabeel will sit and watch her happiness being shattered without doing anything? No! She didn't want to wallow herself in such negative thoughts after praying Istikhara a few days ago and finding her heart filled with overwhelming positivity which she believed, was a good sign. So she decided to do something that would keep her busy till the time Maryam arrives.

She did all the household chores including ironing her and Ammi's clothes which she washed yesterday. She then proceeded to cook breakfast since it was a Monday and she was sure Ya Nabeel was up getting ready by now.

She made porridge and pancakes with the remaining flour and rounded everything up including the chores in exactly an hour and a half.

Right in time she heard a knock on their door and she didn't to be told who it was.

"Good morning Ya Nabeel." She greeted politely with a soft smile on her lips.

"Morning Humaira. How was your night?" He returned the smile even though he knew that there must be something suspicious with her sudden change of demeanor.

"It was great Alhamdulillah, hope same?" She yet again mustered one of her sweet smiles.

Okay there's something definitely wrong with this girl I'm sure. Or has she suddenly forgotten about me not giving her the go ahead to this scholarship? He thought not knowing he said it out loud.

"Did you say something bro?" She inquired mischievously unbeknownst to him she heard him quite well and was even mentally laughing.

Oh my dear Ya Nabeel, two can play this game. She muttered inwardly remembering her plan with Ammi which was to act so innocent and normal in his presence that he'll think she has eventually succumbed to his wish of forgetting about her dream course.

"No I said nothing. I mean...same Alhamdulillah." He perplexedly made his way to the kitchen to get his breaskfast while she followed him to do same.

"Is Ammi still not awake?" He asked.

"I think she's still_"

"Good morning Habibty and Habibi. Your Ammi is very much awake Alhamdulillah. Hope my babies slept well?" Ammi halted Humaira's response, gracing the kitchen with her ever glorious presence.

"Morning Ammi habibty. Alhamdulillah, hope same? And please Ammi I'm no longer a baby, can't you see I'm a grown up now?" The two siblings whined almost in unison and Ammi had to chuckle at their eagerness.