Chapter 18

"So I'll ever see Adeel again. Who could have thought? He is still the same sweet boy except that he'd gotten more handsome." Ammi uttered with a smile plastered on her face as she massaged her fingers into Humaira's scalp who was clearly enjoying every bit of it. They were in Ammi's room ready to retire for the night after Adeel and co left. This gradually became their unspoken routine whenever Humaira came back for holidays. They'd have a sleepover together and catch up on all they missed during the times they weren't together.

Humaira giggled and hummed feeling lazy to utter coherent words as she was so allured to Ammi's skillful and magical fingers.

"Correct me if I'm wrong Ammi, but they lived in Katsina before right?"

"Yes they did. His parents are really good people and back then, me and his mother were very close, just like you and Adeelah. They moved back to Abuja after his father was appointed as the deputy governor of CBN and then we lost communication along the way.

"Oh, wow..." Humaira trailed off in interest.

"Oh yes. I can remember when you were in Primary 6, Adeelah in Primary 5 while Nabeel and Adeel were in SS2. Adeel's parents were not in the state while I was in Malumfashi to see your granny. There was a bomb explosion in the area your school was located in and all parents were being called to pick up their children. Unfortunately neither of us were available then but Adeel acted so brave that it still amazes me till date. He went to both you and Maryam and Adeelah's classes and held your hands as he guided you out. Nabeel was in panic so he had to be the cool and collected one to help calm you all down. Adeel didn't let the teachers call any of us as he didn't want us to get worried. As you know, we were just a street away from your school back then as we were all neighbours. So he and Nabeel held both you, Maryam and Adeelah's hands and made sure you got home safely."

"Interesting Masha Allah. He's quite protective and caring. But how comes me and Adeelah weren't as close as him and Ya Nabeel back then?"

"You silly." Ammi patted her hair with a smile on her face. "Adeelah was in primary 5 then while you were in 6. You're older than Adeelah with a year or have you forgotten?"

"Ohh..I did actually."

"Well now you remember. If I'm not mistaken, there's a time I heard him calling you sassy a while ago. Already on the nickname terms?"

If Humaira was eating, she would have definitely choked at that statement but she wasn't so she faked a cough instead. "Rabbul izzah. Ammi please stop getting those thoughts into your head. Actually we started on the wrong foot as we bumped into each other in school before I knew he is Adeelah's brother so he thinks I'm sassy I guess."

"Woah! That's alot. And you didn't tell me about it?" Ammi teasingly accused.

"It wasn't that important Ammi. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill." She whined and pouted which made Ammi chuckle.

"Okay as you say. But I feel like there's something going on between you two. A certain chemistry or I'm I just imagin..."

"You're definitely imagining things Ammi." Humaira quickly cut her off as she abruptly sat up. "We're just friends and nothing more."

"Then why are you suddenly getting so defensive huh?" Ammi wiggled her eyebrows.

"Well because you're trying to insinuate things. You know what? I actually feel sleepy from your heavenly massage so I think we should just sleep."

"As you say. Though there might just come a time where I'll tell you 'I told you so'." Humaira buried her face in her pillow at that and Ammi couldn't help but to laugh at her reaction.