Chapter 27

The one and a half hour they'd been waiting for a doctor to come out of the operating theatre and inform them of any progress, felt like ages. It dragged on as everyone grieved in his or her own way. Humaira finally noticed Dr. Ammar coming out and she hurriedly sprinted over to him.

"How was the operation doctor? Hope it was successful?" She asked in a hopeful voice, with a look of someone who hasn't slept for days.

The doctor shifted from side to side uncomfortably and removed his spectacles with a defeated look in his eyes. He looked down as if he was disappointed in himself and deep down he was even though there's no avoiding the inevitable. That was how being a doctor has always been. It only gets endurable. Albeit there are good times, it also consists of the bad where delivering sad news are daily routines.  You'd think that with continuous experiences, one would get used to breaking such sad news but unfortunately that wasn't how it works. Especially with certain patients whom you just form a bond with at first sight. "I...I'm sorry but we did all we could. Yet as fate would have it, we couldn't save her."

We couldn't save her. That was the only words that kept repeating itself in her mind, before every other noise faded away as a strong wave of lightheadedness overwhelmed her and then she completely blacked out.

*~*~*~

"She passed out from emotional stress. Sudden fright, shock or pain and the likes of it affects the body's nervous system and that can cause a drop in blood pressure which is what happened to her." Humaira faintly heard what she guessed was the doctor's voice as she struggled to squint her heavy eyes open.

She managed to strain her gaze in the room and found Dr.Ammar explaining things to Nabeel in a corner while Maryam sat in a chair in front of her bed with her left hand in hers which was attached to an IV.

"You are awake. How're you feeling Humaira?" Maryam's hand came up to her cheek, her tearful expression not one to be missed.

"Where is granny? Please take me to her. The doctors must be mistaken. I know she'll be fine. Nothing will happen to her In sha Allah. She is fine and will soon be discharged." Humaira blabbered clutching on her to her sister in law's hand as if her life depended on it.

"Please get a grip Humaira. Your need to rest." Maryam struggled to utter as a big lump formed in her throat.

"Don't tell me you believe she's gone? I know it in my heart she isn't. Granny cannot just leave me alone like that. We even chatted yesterday and she looked so at ease. Please take me to her Maryam. I need to see her even if it's for the last time." Humaira cried in desperation as she folded her two hands in a pleading gesture.

"I know it's hard to accept and I really regret to say this but the fact is that granny is no more Humaira. What she needs now is our prayers."

"No! She's not! If you'll just allow me to go to the ER then I can prove that. She probably just needs a CPR. I beg you in the name of Allah to please take me to her Mairo." Humaira wailed as she hastily pulled the IV from her hand and got up on shaky legs.
Maryam broke into gut-wrenching tears shaking her head as if she couldn't take it anymore as Nabeel fortunately came to her rescue.

"Calm down habibty. Everything is going to be fine In sha Allah. Don't panic." He gently cooed cupping his hand to her cheeks as he slowly guided her back to the bed.

"How can everything be fine when you also believe it Ya Nabeel? Please just let me go and see her." She croaked with the most excrutiating look on her face that almost made him broke down but he knew he couldn't. Shouldn't. He has to be strong for her. For all of them.