Chapter 34

Link watched you mindlessly as you strapped your belts over your shoulder and around your hips. There was a weird smile on his lips, one that had appeared several times before, but it seemed more frequent now. Every once in awhile, he would nod his head as you spoke to him, but with his mind so invested on your sweet voice and gorgeous features, he barely paid any attention. That is until you had stopped talking. He blinked, coming out of his small daze when he noticed your usual soft eyes looking straight at him.

"W-What?" He asked dumbfounded, trying to recall if you had asked him something. He hesitated, grinning a bit sheepishly when you exhaled and facepalmed yourself.

"Are you not paying attention to me?" You shook your head and lowered your hand to place it on your hip. You clicked your tongue and took a step forward, staring into his blue eyes with an amused smile. It was obvious that the boy had been thinking about something else, and part of you wondered what it was that got him so smiley. "What were you thinking about?" You tilted your head and waited for his reply.

Link looked down at you and internally swooned. His mind almost wandered as he stared at you, but when you poked his cheek he came back to his senses. "Oh," he rubbed the cheek you had poked and grinned boyishly, "nothing."

"I doubt it was nothing," you said, snickering when you noticed red hue dust across his cheeks. You hummed, finding his flustered appearance adorable while rolling your eyes playfully. "Anyway, I was asking if you wanted to get going. It looks like the sun is already coming out." You gestured to the opening of the large tent so Link could see how bright it was getting outside.

The boy followed your gaze and rubbed the side of his neck. "I guess we should go, but we have to leave the horses here," he looked back at you and took your hand to lead you out the tent. "I overheard some travellers last night say that Gerudo Town is in the desert."

You grimaced and glanced at him. "The desert?" You questioned in a somewhat whiny tone. You weren't exactly fond of the heat and knowing you had to travel through a desert made you pout. "The next Divine Beast is in the desert?"

Link gave you a toothy smile and nodded his head. "Yes...but look on the bright side," he began to say as he walked with you through the canyon, "the sun isn't at its highest peak yet, so we have a few hours of cool weather."

You raised your eyes to look at the light orange colour that was stretching across the clear sky and pressed your lips together in thought. "Yeah, that's true," you sighed and looked back down at Link, who kept his eyes forward as the two of you walked. Glancing down at the side of your leg, you stared at the cut in your trousers. The injury you had received the day before was now healed since Link had given you a healing elixir, and all that was left now was a long scar. You smiled, finding your battle scar cool as you flickered your head up.

"How's your leg doing?" Link decided to ask as you both weaved your way through a narrow part of the canyon. He flickered his attention down to the area of your wound and then looked back up at you.

"Well, it doesn't hurt anymore so I'd say it's doing fine," you beamed, making eye contact with him.

Link smiled and turned away, lacing his fingers with yours. "That's good, but if for some reason you feel some type of discomfort, I can always carry you." He looked at you and playfully winked, to which you responded by giggling.

"Carry me?" You laughed. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"And why not? Do you think I'm not capable of carrying you? Need I remind you that I've carried you several times before?"

You smiled wide and shook your head. "It's not that. I just think that carrying me while walking through a desert, won't exactly go well," you stated with a small shrug. "But I meant if you want to try, you can, though I doubt you'll make it far." A quiet snicker escaped your lips as you thought about Link carrying you while trudging through a hot desert. The image was not at all pretty.