Ep 42 - Central

(Arc 7 - Infiltration - pt 3)
(CW: Depictions of Violence)

•<>•<>•<>•
Naruto

Naruto and Sasuke were both crouching at the top of the open ceiling of the Root base. The two of them simultaneously leaped and landed on the catwalk-like walkways. It didn't take too long of a wait before the village elder appeared; Danzo had obviously already been waiting for them.

Kurama was growling in Naruto's mind. While the fox was able to openly express his displeasure, Naruto still had to keep up appearances in front of the elder. It already took a lot of effort to hide his disdain.

This bastard with his sketchy schemes. Even if Naruto hadn't known Danzo personally, he would probably have thought him suspicious either way.

Just imagining the atrocities the man in front of him had committed to achieve his goals made Naruto's blood boil.

But he couldn't lose his composure just yet; there were too many uncertainties right then. He had to keep his cool for just a bit longer.

"Nice of you to join us today, famed members of the Akatsuki. Am I right to assume you have come bearing a request from me?" The village elder said.

"You are correct, don't fret, we are willing to offer compensation for your help, of course. We do not want to linger in this land for too long, so I'll make this short for both our sakes," Naruto says smoothly. "And this brings me straight to the point; we'd like to propose an alliance between our two organizations."

The elder seemed to pause at the offer, but his expression still exuded calm confidence. The man had probably anticipated their main topic of discussion would involve a collaboration.

"An alliance with us? It seems you must be quite well-informed." Danzo replied. "Our existence has been kept far under wraps. Am I right to assume Orochimaru of the Sannin was the one who provided that information? That is rather strange though, I had heard he is no longer of the Akatsuki anymore. Stranger then, it seems that one of his own has assassinated him."

"From before that occurred, he did allow us a bit of information. We had a mutually beneficial relationship, and from that agreement is where it came from." Naruto replied swiftly. "It is a pity that he is gone, Orochimaru had a truly immersive information net. It seems that they have scattered, and are no longer useful."

That wasn't the case, but Naruto guessed that this information came from Sasuke, who had been with the snake sannin for a while. He had been with Orochimaru for a while. And if he had to guess, Sasuke was probably also the one who killed him.

The ravenette had started exuding an aura of impatience only Naruto would have noticed since he's known him for quite a while.

Sasuke seemed to have been ticked off by something.

Sasuke spoke up for Naruto this time. "All that aside, what we want from you is fairly simple; information and your assistance. We'll give you the same if you agree to lend us your resources and aid when we ask you of it.

The village elder smiled diplomatically.

"I look forward to a fulfilling relationship between us."

Danzo seemed to be arrogant by nature. The older man walked up to the pair, with his servants in tow of course, without further questions.

The elder really was confident in his power, so much so it was almost laughable. He definitely had no idea where this was going. Naruto let out a soft inaudible tch under his breath.