Ling

The well is right in front of me

"Tell me your dreams" it says

"I can't" I whisper

"Tell me your wishes" it calls

I try to speak but I have no voice

"tell me" it says

"I can sense your hearts desire"

"You wish to be free...free of the burden of your family"

"You wish to be alooone"

There is a brilliant white flash

"No! Wait!" I scream

"That's what you wished...it cannot be undone"

"NO!  That's not what I want!"

"Ling, where are you!" A voice breaks through my daydreams.

"One minute!", I call back, shivering from the cold of our small cottage. I close my eyes and try to forget my dream. 

Free of my family? Why would I want that? 

But somewhere in the back of my head, I know. Your family is to overbearing...you want to be free.

I sigh. But I know that it's true. Ever since my mother disappeared, my family has been suffering. My father has been more strict, especially with money or food. I need my name to be chosen so that I can wish for food for my family. We haven't had enough to eat for years, and we never have extra money.

But if I wish for food...I won't be able to eat. I won't need to, but I'll always be hungry. I won't starve but I'll be hungry.

"Ling! Now! The Selection will start soon! We have to go!" my older brother, Castor, calls through the door.

I sigh, knowing that he is right. "Coming!" I call back. 

I walk out to the front yard of our small cottage. I look at Castor. "You don't honestly think that one of us will be called right?"

"I want to...But..."

"Yeah" I say.

"But if either of us does get called...Just, promise you'll wish for food"

"Okay, sure."

He looks at me. "Promise?"

"I promise" I roll my eyes. "Now lets go, so we can get a good view of the Selected!"

"We have to wait for dad" 

I frown, remembering my dream. Castor looks at me inquisitively, and I quickly turn away. "Dad! Come on! The Selection starts soon!"

And with that, I rush along the path ahead, and cross my fingers for good luck.

the wishing wellOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara